none
How do I protect a Workgroup or Untrusted Domain Server with a DPM 2010 Secondary Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Does any one know how I can achieve this,   I've added 2 "non-domain"  servers to my primary DPM server and it works without any issue.   I'd like to replicate this protection to my secondary DPM server.   I'm currently replicating a large number of Domain servers on my secondary server but when I choose to create a protection group the no-domain servers don't show up?   I'm I doing something wrong?   I would like to do this as I'm operating a D2D2T policy and my tape drive is attached to my secondary DPM server.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 3:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is not a supported scenario. Workgroup/untrusted domain machines are not supported for Secondary server protection. Please find the complete list of supported/unsupported scenarios for workgroup/untrusted domains at:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634170.aspx 
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Thanks Praveen,

Unfortunatly, that link did not state that secondary protection was not supported.  I added a note at the bottom of that page to help other customers that may bump into this.

Secondary protection for workgroup / untrusted domains is not supported

You are protecting data sources on a workgroup or untrusted domain server using a primary DPM server, when you attempt to add secondary protection on a secondary DPM server, the protected servers in a workgroup / untrusted doman are not listed.  Consquently, they can be added for secondary protection.  

Reason: DPM 2010 does not support secondary protection of servers in a workgroup or untrusted domain.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

Monday, July 12, 2010 11:15 AM