none
Install from server to multiple machines using 'blank' ISO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    Just a bit of background...

I have recently taken over as IT support for a small school.

The school wants all the PC's re-imaged (Win 7 Pro... checking tomorrow if 32 / bit)

All PC's running on school domain to a local Server 2008 

There are no images available on the network and the old IT company is un-contactable.

Each PC has it's own Product Key label.

My question: Is it possible to get a 'blank' (ie. no Product key) Win 7 ISO, put it on the server, and then reinstall Win7 on each PC.... once installed (or during installation) we can enter Product key.

Many thanks!
    Sunday, August 21, 2016 8:51 PM

Answers

• It appears I was able to get an ISO using the 'Windows ISO Downloader'

I can get into WinPE on each machine by hitting F* key (forget what it was) - I was able to choose 'Reinstall Windows' (or similar) and I can connect to the Server2008 machine without issue.

Can I now just pop the ISO in there? (Or should I extract the ISO and put it in a folder on the Server 2008 machine?)

During re-installation, i'm happy to have to manually enter the hostname / domain to connect to on each PC which i'm reinstalling. I know it will take a while but it's only about 30 PC's so i'll get over it.

Sunday, August 21, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Hi IrishBogger,

Yes, we could download the Windows 7 ISO file from the Microsoft official website. If you need to install or reinstall Windows 7 you can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

For the re-image the system, also we could use the WDS.

1. To configure Windows Deployment Services
    2. To add the default install image included on the product DVD
    3. To add the default boot image included on the product DVD
    4. Installing an install image

After you have at least one boot and one install image on the server, you can deploy an install image. Please refer to the link about Windows Deployment Services Getting Started Guide.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771670(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:38 AM

All replies

• It appears I was able to get an ISO using the 'Windows ISO Downloader'

I can get into WinPE on each machine by hitting F* key (forget what it was) - I was able to choose 'Reinstall Windows' (or similar) and I can connect to the Server2008 machine without issue.

Can I now just pop the ISO in there? (Or should I extract the ISO and put it in a folder on the Server 2008 machine?)

During re-installation, i'm happy to have to manually enter the hostname / domain to connect to on each PC which i'm reinstalling. I know it will take a while but it's only about 30 PC's so i'll get over it.

Sunday, August 21, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Hi IrishBogger,

Yes, we could download the Windows 7 ISO file from the Microsoft official website. If you need to install or reinstall Windows 7 you can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

For the re-image the system, also we could use the WDS.

1. To configure Windows Deployment Services
    2. To add the default install image included on the product DVD
    3. To add the default boot image included on the product DVD
    4. Installing an install image

After you have at least one boot and one install image on the server, you can deploy an install image. Please refer to the link about Windows Deployment Services Getting Started Guide.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771670(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:38 AM
  • Hi IrishBogger,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:32 AM