Cannot install Business Contact Manager with the proper account priveleges to run properly RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried many times to install BCM on my Outlook 2013 Professional.

It appears that I have not installed or set up the proper security priveleges and Outlook cannot access or update the tables.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Monday, October 8, 2018 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Rich,

May I know how you installed BCM? Did you directly click the "Download" button on the page below, choose the version you want to install, click Next and then press Run to install?

Business Contact Manager for Microsoft Outlook 2013: Full Installation for Upgrading from Business Contact Manager 2007 

If this is your case, please refer to the Install Instructions in the link above and check the result:

1. Download the full installer by clicking the Download button at the top of this page. Save the file to your hard disk drive.

2. It is recommended that you quit any programs you are running. 

3. In Windows Explorer, double-click the .exe file that you saved to your hard disk drive, and follow the instructions on the screen. 

I followed these steps and managed to install BCM to my Outlook 2013:

Hope the above can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 6:43 AM
  • I am installing BCM fresh.  I am NOT upgrading from an older database like 2007.

Microsoft's help indicated that since I am not upgrading from an older database, that I should download the following:
    BCM2010-BCMSetup-x86-en-US.exe  377,592 KB

The first time I ran it, I took the defaults and it ended up giving an error message that it was unable to create the BCM system. (Sorry I didn't snap a copy of the message). I tried to use Custom the second time, to name my new database and it still gave the same message that it couldn't complete the setup.

I uninstalled and tried again.

This time, I found a screen where I was able to select the 'user' for authentication and I set it to 'System'.
    This time the install seemed to work. I verified the install by using my SQL Server Management Studio and could see all the tables and such.

Now when I run Outlook, it shows the BCM tools in the left column.

At this point, anything that I try to do, results in a message that the BCM could not access something and would fail.

So, I am wondering if there is a specific 'User' setup I needed to select to give Outlook the proper privilege to access the database and tables.

If needed, I can run the install again and try to capture screen shots of the error messages.

Or, if you know how to direct me to set up privileges on the database to allow Outlook full access.

Thanks,
    Rich

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 1:15 PM
  • At this point, anything that I try to do, results in a message that the BCM could not access something and would fail.

So, I am wondering if there is a specific 'User' setup I needed to select to give Outlook the proper privilege to access the database and tables.

Hi RTemen,

Thanks for the update. I am also installing BCM fresh and managed to make the BCM to show up on the left pane. Then sorry but my knowledge about using BCM is limited so it's quite hard for me to look further into the issue. I searched a lot and found the following link about how to get help about BCM:

Get help with Business Contact Manager

I'd like to recommend collecting the detailed error message you encountered and trying to look for more professional help from the resource mentioned in the link above.

Hope you can find the information helpful. Feel free to post in our forum in the future if you have any other issues regarding using Outlook desktop client and we are always willing to try our best to assist.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:26 AM