none
What is the best way to update your reference images? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using MDT 2013 to deploy Windows 7x64. We have an automated process to generate our reference images using Powershell and Hyper-V. It works great.

We generate new images once per month, and I would like to know the best way to update the .wims in the deployment share.

Can I just copy the new .wim file into the deployment share with explorer and overwrite the old one? I assume this method will retain the old GUID in the MDT console. Will new deployments just start using this new .wim as soon as it is coped? Do I need to update the deployment share?

Do I need to import a new OS through the MDT console? Doing this I assume will require me to select the new .wim in my task sequence, since the newly imported OS will have a new GUID.

Also, these .wim files are used in our test deployment share before our production share. Can I just copy/paste from one share to the other? What does this do to the OS GUID? Does it get a new one or does it retain the old GUID from the original share?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:06 PM

Answers

• As long as the replacement WIM is the same version number, and the same WIM Index, I would be OK with just robocopy'ing the install.wim over the old version.
    Replication between the test and production shares should use the same GUID's so you should be OK.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, November 21, 2014 5:39 AM