Multiple groupings in CQWP RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to add multiple groupings in a content query web part.  I have reviewed the forums and seen recommendations about using a dataview and modifying the Header.xsl and ItemStyle.xsl, but have not seen a means yet to do this.

My specific criteria is that I have a site column Category and site column SubCategory.  The Category is currently used in the single Group By of the content query web part and I need to add a grouping for the SubCategory.

Any help would be appreciated.

David Dye My Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi David,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to use multiple grouping for Content Query web part in SharePoint 2010.

Per my knowledge, the OOB Content Query Web part cannot be grouped by multiple fields. There is not a OOB way to achieve it. As you searched, I suggest you use Data View.

You can do as the followings:

1. Open this site via SharePoint Designer 2010.
    2. Create a new page, then insert a list dataview.
    3. Then click the dataview, and click Options under List View Tools
    4. Click Sort&Group, then you can add multiple groups into the dataview web part

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 3, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Thank you very much for the response Wendy.  For the project we are showing all forms on a site page available to everyone in the company, but the forms are stored in the different department site libraries where the appropriate permissions are applied and then rolled up to the CQWP where everyone has access to them.  The CQWP is set to collect all forms based on the content type that was created.  The presentation requirement is to provide two separate groupings in the CQWP.

I looked at data views, but from review there is no way to "roll up" all items or documents across a site collection.  Is there any way to do this with a data view?  Or use a data view to point at a CQWP?

David Dye My Blog

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Check this post:

http://sympmarc.com/2008/02/19/rolling-up-content-in-sharepoint-using-the-data-view-web-part-dvwp/

Thanks, Ransher Singh, MCP, MCTS | Click Vote As Helpful if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

Friday, October 3, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Thank you for the link.  I am reviewing and attempting now.  I will post progress and mark as an answer if this works.

David Dye My Blog

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:06 PM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for posting your issue, you need to create to site columns at root level site then you can use those columns in Document Library or List based your requirement. And, follow the below steps to group/filter them

1. Select Site Actions->Site Settings.
    2. In the Galleries column, select "Site Columns"
    3. Click "Create"
    4. Enter in the relevant information.
    5. In your list, goto Settings -> List Settings.
    6. Select "Add from existing site columns"
    7. Add your column to the list.
    8. In your list, add data to the column as needed.
    9. Back on the page showing your CQWP, modify the shared part.
    10. Select Presentation. Under Group items by, select your site column.

Also, checkout the details on below mentioned URL

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms497457.aspx

I hope this is helpful to you, mark it as Helpful. If this works, Please mark it as Answered.

Regards,

Dharmendra Singh (MCPD-EA | MCTS)

Blog : http://sharepoint-community.net/profile/DharmendraSingh

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Dharmendra,

The issue is that I require multiple groupings.  I have already configured a single grouping in the CQWP, but I need to group by another site column, which is not supported out of the box.  I am attempting the data view now in order to complete this.

David Dye My Blog

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Hi David,

Do you have any update? If you have a solution, please share it, it will be beneficial to someone who meets the same issue in the future.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:18 AM