none
HTML 5 Local and Session Storage RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out where browsers that support HTML 5 actually store the data they persist as Session or Local storage.  I assume that, since Session Storage persists only as long as the browser window that created it exists, the data is stored in memory.  Is that a correct assumption?

What about Local Storage?  Since it persists between browser sessions, it must be persisted to disk, but where?  Is there a maximum lifetime assigned to Local Storage?

I did a number of searches and I can find all kinds of information on exactly what these types of storage are but nothing on the mechanics of them

Thanks

Bert

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers please post to the IE Web Development forum...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads

(You will find links to the MSDN, IETeam and IEBlog at the top and bottom of that forum)

both local and session storage is written to disk in protected storage areas......

Session ID's are issued by servers. Session time out is controlled by the web server software...

w3c.org has documentation on it usage and suggest implementation.

storage mechanisms and exposure to file and browsers is on a vendor need to know basis.

browsers though their scripting engines expose methods to read and write to DOM storage.. the mechanism that each vendor implements may differ.

Rob^_^

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:37 AM