Disk Defragmenter Not Completing properly RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I tried to defragment my C: and D: drives using Disk Defragmenter on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit (this was recommended, "Your file system performance can be improved. It is recommended that you defragment now").

So I clicked "Defragment Now" and after the defragmenter had "finished", the same recommended option came up. The defragmenter was "defragmenting" for about 30 seconds and then finished. This did not improve the speed/performance at all and the same recommended option was displayed instead of saying "Your file system performance is good. You do not need to defragment now".

I was wondering what I should do (what steps I should take) to resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Alex McAnulty

tuxedoguy95@hotmail.com

Sunday, December 7, 2008 3:24 AM

All replies

• Try this applet:

onecare.live.com
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:14 AM
  • I ve been using Diskeeper for defragging Vista and XP, and it works fine -defrags all the drives properly, without fuss. It's got a useful automatic mode too which means you don't have to regularly defrag the drives yourself. It's not freeware, so you have to purchase the license for the full version, however you can grab free 30 day trial versions from the website at http://www.diskeeper.com if you are so inclined.

Monday, December 8, 2008 3:58 PM
  • I installed the new Disk Defragmenter (named: Diskeeper) and when I attempted to defrag Hard Drive C: (main) a mesage was displayed saying that Drive C: could not be defragmented. This problem happenedd with the pre-installed Microsoft Defragmeneter that came with my Windows Vista Home Premium Dell PC.
    Could someone please provide help with this.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:04 AM
  •  

Ah, probably Diskeeper could not run probably because there is a file system error on the drive. If the file system is corrupted, then defrag does not start; this is by design, to minimize the chances of corrupting or losing data.

I think if you run chkdsk once, it will be okay.

Go to Start > Search and type (without quotes) 'cmd'.

When the search result comes up, right click on it and 'Run as Administrator'. This will give you an elevated level command prompt.

When the command prompt box comes up, type (without quotes) 'chkdsk C:/r' and press Enter. You can replace C: with the drive letter of the drive that you are trying to defrag. Note the spaces in the command.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Now chkdsk will start to run. This may take a while and may also require a reboot. After it's done you should be able to defrag.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:11 AM