none
100 projects with similar activities RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I have 100 houses to be built at 100 different locations . Every house has 4 common activities (mentioned below) in a particular sequence . All have start date and completion dates in next 2 years time .

To explain further , following are the activities and resource assigned :- 

1. Survey , land acquisition and fencing of land - resource assigned is Surveyor.

2.Excavation, foundation casting , wall and roof , painting , finishing - resource assigned Civil Engineer

3. Electrical and Mech. works , alarm system , security system , - resource assigned MEP Engineer

4. Handover of house - difficiences correction - resource assigned - resource assigned - Project Engineer

a. I want to see the number of resources (Surveyor , Civil Engineer , MEP Engineer , Project Engineer) required per month .

b. How to plan this work - I am trying to do it in one project file , but monitoring becomes problem as some are not base lined due to avaliablity of land and the plan keeps on changing on land acquisition dates for many house site , some are work in progress, etc .

Thanks for reading . Pl. clarify in case of any doubts in question above . Waiting for experts response.

Regards,

RKS

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:41 AM

Answers

• Hello ,

I am finally able to count my resources . Thanks to all of you who has taken time to give there views . All views are appreciated and Special Thanks to Erik , Jan and Rod . The brainstorming has lead to my desired result . 

Regards , RKS

• Marked as answer by EDMONTON RKS Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:44 AM

All replies

• ??? A Civil Engineer does painting etc? I think 4 tasks per house is nowhere near enough. If you want to summarize at this level I suspect you are better off using Excel! It will be quicker, just as accurate and way simpler for you.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:57 AM
  •  still waiting for better answer... .

The question is not for who does what ( this is an example only) , but to know the number of resources per month in such secenario ?

RKS

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:39 AM
  • RKS,

I tend to agree with Rod. The activities listed in the example don't appear to be in a normal house construction sequence (e.g. painting and finishing before electrical and mechanical), but then as you say, it's just an example.

The only way you will be able to get manpower loading per month is to lay out the tasks with estimated durations, work content and best guestimate as to start date. Assign the resources and then look at the Resource Usage view with the timescale set for months.

Virtually any project is going to be dynamic, particularly projects that have unknowns (e.g. remodeling houses, engineering development, etc.). There is no simple way to avoid the dynamics, it's just part of the challenge of doing business.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:30 AM
  • Wouldn't the Visual Reports function do what you want - from the Project:Reports ribbon tab. Select Resource Usage view. It gives hours rather than numbers of resources. With a custom resource field you can group resources by skill, for example.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:30 AM
  •  Sorry , my question is not very clear . So again I am trying in other words.

Is it possible to count the resources in number per month in MS Project 2010 ? assuming that the work plan is done with start and finish dates , with proper sequencing and proper resource loading etc .

To get the resource in hours / per month is possible as advised in this forum . but I require to count the number of resources

Or

Say , as a owner how can I know how many Supervisors I will require as the approved project plan ? I do not want hours but numbers . assume project plan is done properly with resource loadings.

Sorry if it is not clear , but my question may be simple and occured but it is very important to me as I have to plan how may engineers , supervisors I have to hire and when ?

Thanks for reading and answering .

RKS

Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Accurate resource loadings requires hours. Usually a standard type house will have at least 100 tasks. Given that, Project gives a very accurate picture of resource needs, but only as accurate as the resource loadings entered for each house.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

What users in this case generally do is to show Percent Allocation in Resource Usage view.

In that view, right-click on the right side, click Detail Styles

Look for Percent Allocation, select, click Show.

Now in File menu (2010!), Options, Schedule, look for Show Assignment Units as ... Decimal.

There you are.

If you are looking for the maximum number of people during any month, use Peak Units instead of Percent Allocation.

That's the best Project can give you.

Don't worry about Work if you don't need it - just ignore it :-)

Greetings,

Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:41 AM
  • Looking at your request and the answers already given I would look at a completely different approach. I do agree with the rest on resources and hours. However if it is only the number of resources you need to count, you could try and use a Material resource....

Here's how you can do this:

Material Resources

Now when you have your tasks, you can add 2 civil engineers and 1 MEP engineer on a task if you like. It will not give you the amount of work performed, or any detail that you want to have (total hours spent on the projects). It will however tell you how many resources you have working on the projects. Here's a screen from task usage:

Task_usage_Material_Resources

Two final notes:

If this is a report you would like to see periodically it will be advisable to design a Excel report and use the "Count" (instead of sum) Pivot table functionality.

If you have 100 projects in 100 places, it would be really helpful to step in to the world of Project Server. BI capabilities are much bigger there.

Let us know if this is a suitable working method for you.

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hello ,

I am finally able to count my resources . Thanks to all of you who has taken time to give there views . All views are appreciated and Special Thanks to Erik , Jan and Rod . The brainstorming has lead to my desired result . 

Regards , RKS

• Marked as answer by EDMONTON RKS Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:44 AM