none
DHCP SERVER CALLOUT AND IPV6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m in charge of developping a callout dll for the dhcp server. For the moment this dll only shows a packet that arrives in the dhcp server. An ipv4 packet is routed to callout event DhcpNewPktHook. But, an ipv6 packet is not routed to this event processing.

Does it exist another callout api for ipv6 packet to an external dll ?

Regards,

Christophe

• Moved by EugeneLeitanMVP Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:48 AM the question is not in that branch
    Monday, April 9, 2018 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

To have a better understanding about this issue, please help me to collect more information:

1)What's version of the windows server configured DHCP callout dll? Since this callout DLL shall work on early Windows server version.

2)I was still confused by the following sentence.

<< An ipv4 packet is routed to callout event DhcpNewPktHook. But, an ipv6 packet is not routed to this event processing.

3) Which purpose for this thread implementation would you like?

Highly appreciate your effort and time.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 30, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Hi Michael,

1. question : I have tested this callout dll in Windows server 2008 R2 and Windows server 2016.

2nd question : When an DHCP packet arrive to the server, DhcpNewPktHook callback is fired. The callout dll just prints content of this packet into a file . The server acts as a DHCP server for IPv4 and IPv6 and content is printed to the file only when DHCP4 packet arrived, not when this packet is a DHCP6.

3rd question : The purpose of this dll is quite complicate to explain.

Actually, I have a DHCP server from another manufacturer that only serves IPv4 addresses. This server contains only reservations that are populated from a database. On DHCP4, Mac address is used to deliver the IP address. On DHCP6, DUID and IAD are used to deliver the IP address. I would like to conserve Mac address as essential information to facilitates the management. In my case, each IP4 must have an IP6 equivalent address, so when I have a reservation for DHCP4 I must have a reservation for DHCP6.

The purpose of the dll is when a DHCP6 packet arrive for the first time of a request, I intercept DUID, IAD and Mac Address and setup DUID and IAD to the corresponding DHCP6 reservation via DHCP APIs.

For the moment, I am just looking for the feasibilty  of this technique. Apprently, callout not working with DHCP6 packet, so actually I'm looking if I can do that with the Windows Filtering Platform, but it is more complicated for me.

I'm not a C/C++ programmer,  I'm coming from other languages.

Best regards,

Christophe

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 6:09 PM