none
Windows SERVER 2016 DHCP config - issue ipv6 DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

First of all I would like to describe little bit situation. Im migratting DHCP server from 2008 to 2016 in one of branch offices.

All went smoothly DHCP Realy assigned on routers, DHCP scope configured correclty. Diisabling DHCP on old node and enablig on new one. 

New release appears to be OK. IP' scope assigned OK. And suddenly one issue appear. 

DHCP client workstation is configured for automatic DHCP.

New IP assigned OK.

Ping DNS - response in ipV6 instead off ipV4. ????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is my question since all my DNS servers are ipv4 is there any possibility to desactivate ipv6 on DHCP server ?

May by  problem is somewhere else not on new DHCP server config but on client workstation level ?

When ping is forced in IPv4 resolution DNS is working OK but it's have to be forced ?

Is there any workaround  ??

Thank's for any suggestion.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:03 PM

Answers

• Hi It appears that one of configured DNS indeks on DHCP scope have been listening NIC on both ipv4 and ipv6 that why it forced DNS of client to use IPv6. Disablibg iPv6 on DNS node resolved issue. Thank you for your support. Take care
    • Edited by T3hboy Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by T3hboy Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:44 AM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

If they are resolving to IPv6 they might be cached or have ipv6 addresses registered in DNS.

Deleting IPv6 entries in DNS server and then flushing dns with the command ipconfig /flushdns to check if you have the same problem.

In addtition , you could do nslookup to see what DNS is resolving to.

Also, you could try to disable IPV6 by following link:

How to disable IPv6 or its components in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/how-to-disable-ipv6-or-its-components-in-windows

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:58 AM
  • thank you for sharing this info.

Case is more delicate. 

In branch office we have multiple devices. And disabling IPv6 on all is one of scenarios possible, but Im trying to figure out here logic.

Old DHCP server in branch office does had ipv6 activated on network card and when roll back was done everything when back to normal state.

Maybe more details will give someone clue.

Current config

DHCP role installed on branch server Windows 2008 STD, network adapter activated on for ipv4 and ipv6.

All equipment laptops, desktops etc are working fine.

New config:

DHCP role installed in DATACENTER Windows server 2016, network adapter activated only for ipv4. Ipv6 deactivated on network card.

Issue scenario:

Disabling scope in old DHCP branch Windows 2008 STD, stoping DHCP server service and disabling.

Activating DHCP scope on new Windows 2016 , the same scope.

Address leases are reaching correctly IP's, IP assigned OK to endpoints.

Endpoints resolving names in IPv6 -> ??????? why :)

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi ,

Sorry for the delayed response.

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.
    If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi It appears that one of configured DNS indeks on DHCP scope have been listening NIC on both ipv4 and ipv6 that why it forced DNS of client to use IPv6. Disablibg iPv6 on DNS node resolved issue. Thank you for your support. Take care
    • Edited by T3hboy Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by T3hboy Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:44 AM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:43 AM