none
Use SAN storage as disk. RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use my SAN as disk in DPM 2010. My QNAP SAN supports NFS and iSCSI.
    I added a VHD to the W2008R2 machine which I use for DPM. That works but when i try to add this disk in DPM i get the message:

Disk 1 was not added to the storage pool because it could not be converted to a dynamic disk.

For more information about supported disk types, see the DPM 2010 Deployment Guide.

ID: 361
    Details: VssError:The clustered disks could not be enumerated or could not be put into cluster maintenance mode. Check the System event log for cluster related events and the Application event log for VSS related events.
     (0x80042400)

Converting the disk to GPT gives the same result.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Kind Regards,

Jeroen Borgman

Jeroen _________________________________________________ The Netherlands
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:26 PM

Answers

• Can you try converting the disk to dynamic using diskmgmt.msc and see if it works? To add a disk to DPM pool this operation must suceed but it need not to be done for every disk by user as DPM itself does it. DPM don't support to add a disk which can't be covnerted to dynamic disk Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:44 PM

All replies

• Can you try converting the disk to dynamic using diskmgmt.msc and see if it works? To add a disk to DPM pool this operation must suceed but it need not to be done for every disk by user as DPM itself does it. DPM don't support to add a disk which can't be covnerted to dynamic disk Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:44 PM
  • I use a QNAP box with 12TB storage for our DPM2010 server. I assume the disk attahced succesfully through iSCSI initiator. Mine is set to dynamic disk and online in diskmanagement. The partition should not be formatted though.

Dont know if you used the thin provision feature on the QNAP iSCSI? I used instant allocation to guarantee the space is available to DPM

Monday, June 7, 2010 1:17 PM
  • To add a disk into DPM it needs to be in RAW format.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 1:37 PM