Project 2016 will not open from PWA site... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This problem is unique to this PC. This works properly on other PCs with my ID.

PC:

• Windows 8.1
    • IE11
    • Project 2016
    • Office 2016

When I click on the Project icon on the PWA site, nothing happens.  If I do this in Chrome, I (sometimes) receive a "Project Professional needs to be installed to open the project. Install Project and try again." message.

Project 2016 is installed properly. (I've reinstalled it about 5 times at this point.)

I've messed around with Compatibility settings to no avail.

I have reset IE settings to no avail.

I have messed around with the PWA Accounts settings in 2016 *extensively*. I've completely uninstalled-reinstalled Office.

I *can* open a project thru Project 2016 by going to the PWA site.  I just can't open a project from the PWA site.

Anyone got anything?

Thank you.

cw

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

try tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons...... scroll down the listing and locate the block of Microsoft browser extensions and ActiveX controls. Enable any Microsoft extensions and activex controls that are currently disabled. Save changes.... close and restart IE for the full changes to take affect.

Open IE, then select tools>ActiveX filtering (turn it off... see instruction link below)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2011/02/28/activex-filtering-for-consumers/

.... I do not know the web address of the PWA site you mentioned... please include links to any website(s) you have problems with your questions.... this allows us to visit the same site as you and do some tests.... There have been recent security updates for Silverlight..... the PWA site may be affected.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:57 AM
  • Hello Rob,

Thank you so much for your reply.

This is very odd. After beating the heck out of this for a week, this morning it started working correctly. I have no idea why.

I was in the process of running through your suggestion when I found out.  (I had no disabled MS extensions. ActiveX filtering was turned OFF.)

All's well that end's well, I guess.  But it would be nice to know what caused it to start working.

Thanks again.

cw

Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:05 PM