Windows 7 keyboard and mouse stop responding after wake up from power down monitor RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 64-bit RC on an EVGA X58 motherboard using a CoreI7 920 with 6BG of memory.  I am using a USB wired keyboard and mouse.

I have an intermittent problem where the system puts the monitor to sleep and when I move the mouse or press a key the screen comes back on and the display is correct.  I can move the mouse, but the taskbar (auto-hide) will not un-hide.  If I then press a key like Num Lock, the mouse stops responding and the Num Lock light does not work.  At this point, my only way out is to reset the system.

There are no event logs and I am at a loss as to how to debug the issue.

Anyone else have anything like this happen?  Any ideas on how I can debug the issue?

TIA
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Upgrade the Motherboard driver and Display adapter driver.

2. Perform a Clean Boot to check the result. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

3. Reinstall USB Controllers for a test.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 9, 2009 9:09 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:18 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Upgrade the Motherboard driver and Display adapter driver.

2. Perform a Clean Boot to check the result. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

3. Reinstall USB Controllers for a test.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 9, 2009 9:09 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:18 AM
  • I've been having the same issue, except both keyboard and mouse stop responding after wake-up. the issue is intermittent. i am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. This issue is also persistent on my girlfriends computer running windows 7 ultimate 32bit. 
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:49 PM
  • I have the same problem with Windows 64bit Professional with PS/2 keyboard and a Microsoft Laser mouse 6000.

I have the latest M/B bios firmware and drivers, updated Graphics card and mouse drivers also.

When just the monitor goes to sleep and wakes up by a key stoke once in a while keyboard and mouse does not response.

The computer replies to ping and File and print sharing also works fine

I press a key to start the monitor and after the monitor wakes up but the keyboard no longer responds – num lock is open but does not response to num lock key also.

The first two times I start the computer with the power button.

The third time I continue to press CTRL+ALT+DEL for 1 or 2 minutes and suddenly the computer start to reply!!!

Now I do the same every time this happens.

Sometimes this does not work also and I stop. After 2 or 3 minutes with idle keyboard the computer starts to reproduce the last pressed keystrokes!!!

I do not restart the computer by power down any more and trying to found a solution…

Mouse moves but can’t select or double click, sometimes you can hear beep’s while moving from computer internal speaker showing buffer full???

After system starts responding again to keyboard and mouse no messages are found at system or application event log.

If I restart by power button the only message I get is “The previous system shutdown at time on ‎date was unexpected.”

Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Having the same issues here.  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

All current device drivers installed.

PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Power profile only allows monitor to power off.  USB devices are not set to power off on idle.  Sleep is not enabled.

Mouse will move, but clicks are disabled, taskbar will not pop up (autohide enabled), and keyboard will not respond.

I have to ctrl-alt-delete twice, then several minutes later I get a login screen, then everything works again.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Update - Did some experimenting and it appears the problem may be related to having a USB card reader connected.  When the USB card reader is not connected, I don't have the issue.

Anyone experiencing this issue that has an external USB storage device or card reader connected might want to try this temp. fix.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Did more experimenting... it wasn't the USB card reader, looks like using the builtin USB hub on my HP LP2475w was causing the issue.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:37 AM
  • I have the same issue with Windows 7 Home Premium the Dell Inspiron 580s and the mouse Genius 50023 Travel traveler 505. When the computer is suspended and I wake it up with a mouse click the mouse movement is undetected BUT the clicks do respond.

Just after waking up I can see the pointer moving diagonally to the upper right corner by its own...

Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Having the same issues here.  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

All current device drivers installed.

PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Power profile only allows monitor to power off.  USB devices are not set to power off on idle.  Sleep is not enabled.

Mouse will move, but clicks are disabled, taskbar will not pop up (autohide enabled), and keyboard will not respond.

I have to ctrl-alt-delete twice, then several minutes later I get a login screen, then everything works again.

I have the same issue with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits...

Any ideas?

• Proposed as answer by o2know Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:44 AM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Sounds a bit like this problem: Windows 7 Freezes when Resumed from Idle due to Screen Blanking

I was able to workaround this frustrating problem by either:
    • disabling taskbar auto-hide, or
    • changing the Power Plan setting "Turn off the display" to "Never".

For me, neither workaround is ideal, particularly when using a laptop.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:09 PM
  • I'm having the same problem right now.  Windows 7 64bit     Just started doing this??   

Did anyone find a solution?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I too am having a similar problem - keyboard and mouse are not responsive when rebooting (for me , not on wake-up from sleep).  Win 7 64bit.  seems to have started the same day as MBell303, after a Windows Update/reboot.  Searching forums hasn't given me any ideas yet.

Can anyone help please?  I am forced to perform system restore repeatedly to work around this issue and have turned off windows updates.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Proposed as answer by TriumphJack Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:49 PM
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:56 PM
  • It happened to me just after an update of some sort.  I had several in a few day perio so I couldnt pin it down to either

Windows or Adobe reader or perhaps Skype.  In any case, I went back to an earlier restore point

a few days prior and it went away.  Now I'm declining all updates until one you eggheads can tell me

which update is the culprit.  :-)

Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:53 PM