Commandline filename completion does (not) work on network drives RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows XP pro (and even in good old Windows 2000) I have been using the TAB key a lot for filename completion. I now have Windows 7 home premium and noticed something weird that I think is a bug. But if it is by design I would very much like to understand why it is designed this way.

When I open a command line as Administrator the tab key DOES NOT work on mapped drives.
    When I open a command line as Administrator the tab key DOES work on the UNC path to the same target.
    When I open a command line without administrator priviliges the tab key DOES work on a mapped drive.

The mapped network drive can be my old Windows XP Pro machine, it can be a Windows server at work that I access via a vpn connection. I observe the same behaviour.

What can be the reason for this difference in behaviour?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Bonno, just check that your drives are still mapped from your admin prompt. Windows 7 (in a workgroup environment by default) tends to open the command prompt in a slightly different user context and your drives (mapped as the user who started the admin prompt) are not connected.

• Proposed as answer by Rob.Ford Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:20 PM
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

The mapping is there but it's not available. :-( Now what does that mean?

In Dutch:
    <quote>
    Status       Lokaal    Extern                    Netwerk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Niet beschik M:        \\Nickey\c$               Microsoft Windows Network
    Niet beschik N:        \\Nickey\d$               Microsoft Windows Network
    Niet beschik P:        \\tioein2k3.staf.tio.nl\Users\b.bloksma
                                                    Microsoft Windows Network
    Niet beschik S:        \\mona2k3.staf.tio.nl\TioSamen
                                                    Microsoft Windows Network
    De opdracht is voltooid.
    </quote>

The only article I have been able to find that talks about "not available drives" is about the bug in Windows where a new USB disk or something like it will get the driveletter which is allready assigned to a network drive.

Friday, December 3, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

It's getting worse. I now have an explorer screen open to \\server.domain.com\share, I have a normal commandline open where I can access \\server.domain.com\share and I have an administrator commandline open where I CANNOT access \\server.domain.com\share because:
    "Aanmeldingsfout: onbekende gebruikersnaam of ongeldig wachtwoord." Which translates to "Logon error: Unknown username or invalid password."

This is on my home computer which is not part of the domain but I do have a vpn open to the company network and in the past on my XP machine I have always been able to my work. It seems Windows 7 is preventing me to do my work. :-(

I'de hate to disable the UAC but if that is all that is left for me to be able to do my work...

p.s. \Windows\Syste32\gpedit.msc no longer exists, where the heck has that gone to?

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:34 AM