Windows Explorer and Folder Permissions? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to understand the new folder structure and persmissions in Vista (Build 5728).  Under c:\users\[my profile] there are many folders I cannot access.  For example:  Send To, Start Menu, My Documents, and several others.  These folders all have what looks like a shortcut icon on them, which is my next question.  What is that?  Are they shortcuts?  And if so, to what?  I also noticed the all users and default user folders have this icon on them.

In XP, I would add program shorcuts -to my startup folder- that I wanted to start when Windows starts.  But since I can't get into the Start Menu folder, I am unable to do this.  And My Documents?  Why would I be denied access to this folder? 

I am a member of the local Administrators group which makes this all the more confusing.  Is there any documentation that describes what the heck is going on with both the folder structure and the permissions?  At this point I am not ready to start changing folder permissions - until I understand why they are the way they are.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:43 AM

Answers

• Windows Vista has a very successful powerful security options regarding files called "User Account Control (UAC)" where it blocks sudden attacks of hackers to modify files/options in your computer where it's a UI controlled tool prompts you each time files/advanced software options which Windows Vista sees it's a must for the end user to modify it on his own risk by allow it to run or not, once you're unable to open folders you mensioned up, that's due to some issue with your User Account Control (UAC) software, this option is disabled if you installed TweakVI software as it forces you to disable it so if it's installed for you, uninstall it (Highly Recommended). To check if your User Account Control (UAC) is on or not go to Control Panel>User Accounts and click on Turn user control on or off then check it "if not checked" or vice versa.

Good luck

Monday, October 2, 2006 8:19 PM

All replies

• Windows Vista has a very successful powerful security options regarding files called "User Account Control (UAC)" where it blocks sudden attacks of hackers to modify files/options in your computer where it's a UI controlled tool prompts you each time files/advanced software options which Windows Vista sees it's a must for the end user to modify it on his own risk by allow it to run or not, once you're unable to open folders you mensioned up, that's due to some issue with your User Account Control (UAC) software, this option is disabled if you installed TweakVI software as it forces you to disable it so if it's installed for you, uninstall it (Highly Recommended). To check if your User Account Control (UAC) is on or not go to Control Panel>User Accounts and click on Turn user control on or off then check it "if not checked" or vice versa.

Good luck

Monday, October 2, 2006 8:19 PM
  • Just FYI: TweakVI does **NOT** require that UAC is disabled. It neither forces the user to disable UAC. The software works fine with UAC enabled, and both the setup and TweakVI itself mentions that.

Steve
    Monday, February 5, 2007 2:13 PM