Install Vista Ultimate 32 bit . . . Hangs! RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so here is the problem and the computer specs. I have a Toshiba Satellite M115-S1061. It originally came with 512 RAM, ATI Xpress M200 graphics, and an Intel Celeron M processor. The specs are somewhat different now then when I originally bought the laptop, so here are the NEW specs. I have installed 2gb of Kingston RAM, and an Intel Core Duo T2050 processor to upgrade performance. The machine runs just fine with Windows XP. Matter of fact it runs great with XP. I tried to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 32 bit and it won't take! I have run the compatability wizard and everything is green light. I have tried to do an "Upgrade" from XP, hangs after "Completing Installation" phase, I have tried doing a clean install from inside XP with the same results, and I have tried to do a fresh install booting directly from the DVD, same results. I read everywhere that Vista can sometimes take a while to complete the installation, I can assure you that this is not the problem, as I have left the computer like this for 36 hours on several occasions with no change. I try to boot into safe mode and it tells me that windows cannot complete setup in safe mode and to restart the machine. So I restart and it hangs again. When I bought the computer it was marked as "Vista Capable" out of the box, and you would think with upgrading the computer it would be even MORE capable. I have also tried putting the OLD hardware back to original specs and that makes no difference either. I have even tried a brand spankin new hard drive that's never been used and that even makes no difference. It always hangs on the black screen after "Completing Installation" phase. If anyone has any idea's at all I would love the help! Thank you very much!
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hello Jcofske,

According to your description, I suppose that the issue is most likely caused by the Windows Vista Setup media, would you please test the CD on another computer? If it is really damaged or corrupt, we should first order a replacement disk for the continuous troubleshooting.

If the problem still persists, please following the steps below to narrow downs the issue.

1. Upgrade BIOS to the latest version and then reset it to the default manufacturer settings.

2. Format the computer and clean install Windows Vista.

3. The HDD problem: replace a new disk.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 13, 2009 7:47 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:01 AM