How to increase the Single line text field length using SPDesigner only? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to increase the SharePoint Form Field Single line text column length to more than 255 cahrecters by using only designer, If yes how to do this?

Thanks,

reddy

Friday, March 9, 2012 7:50 AM

Answers

• Why not use a multiline field ? If you use the basic version of it, you can use that to write long texts.

http://marijnsomers.blogspot.com || @marijnsomers

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:51 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 8:25 AM
  • The following method will allow you to get all the needed functionality from a "single line of text" field, but actually use a multiple line of text field.

Picked it up from this stackoverflow site.

Here's how to do it, and yes it's a little complicated:

First, create a single-line text column, I'll call it Content

Second, create a calculated column, I'll call it ContentCalc, set the formula to =[Content]

Third, delete the first column Content, then recreate it as a multi-line text column Fourth, create a third column, I'll call it Summary, and set the formula to =LEFT([ContentCalc],60), with 60 being any number of chars you want to truncate it to.

I don't know if this is what you are ultimately looking for but it seemed to resolve my problem! Many thanks to the stackoverflow author.

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:51 PM

All replies

• Why not use a multiline field ? If you use the basic version of it, you can use that to write long texts.

http://marijnsomers.blogspot.com || @marijnsomers

Friday, March 9, 2012 8:25 AM
  • In SharePoint 2007 you can't use multi-line fields with calculated columns.

I am having this same problem and I am trying to find a solution to the 255 character limit. Even something that truncates the input if it exceeds 255 would be useful. I have a workflow that is broken because I can't place more than 255 characters into a "single line" text field without causing an error.

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:24 PM
  • The following method will allow you to get all the needed functionality from a "single line of text" field, but actually use a multiple line of text field.

Picked it up from this stackoverflow site.

Here's how to do it, and yes it's a little complicated:

First, create a single-line text column, I'll call it Content

Second, create a calculated column, I'll call it ContentCalc, set the formula to =[Content]

Third, delete the first column Content, then recreate it as a multi-line text column Fourth, create a third column, I'll call it Summary, and set the formula to =LEFT([ContentCalc],60), with 60 being any number of chars you want to truncate it to.

I don't know if this is what you are ultimately looking for but it seemed to resolve my problem! Many thanks to the stackoverflow author.

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:51 PM