Move-CsManagement Server not working! PLEASE HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As the subject implies.  I'm trying to perform a Move-CsManagementServer to move CMS to a new host.  The old host is no longer available and databases were moved to new server.  Basically, I CAN'T log into CsLisConfiguration database (lis database) but can log into CsConfiguration database running on same Instance.  Environment is a single Standard Edition Front End with local SQL and no Edge.  

As you know you must have a .bak file available to run the Move-CsManagementServer command.  When I run the Export-CsConfiguration it's successful but when I run the Export-CsLISConfiguration I get the following:

PS C:\Users\wdi_admin> Export-CsLisConfiguration -FileName C:\E9Config.bak

Export-CsLisConfiguration : Cannot open database "lis" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'XXX\lycadmin'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Export-CsLisConfiguration -FileName C:\E9Config.bak
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (C:\E9Config.bak:String) [Export-CsLisConfiguration], SqlConnectionE
       xception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Cannot open database "lis" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'XXX\lycadmin'.,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Lis.ExportLisConfigurationCmdlet

I've checked that I am a member of all of the RTC groups mentioned in just about every post online as well as local admin group.  I've reinstalled all of the SFB components as one post suggested.  I've also logged into the database using SQL Server Management Studio and can run queries and everything against the lis database but still no dice on the PS command to export the config.

I also read that you should be able to create a BLANK lis config file and use that as a dummy export file and then run the Move-CsManagement server command against that, I tried that as well and NO LUCK!  Here's my command:

"Move-CsManagementServer -ConfigurationFileName "C:\localcms.zip" -LisConfigurationFileName "C:\Us
    ers\wdi_admin\Documents\LISBAK.zip" -Force"

and the output.....

WARNING: Move-CsManagementServer failed.
    WARNING: Detailed results can be found at
    "C:\Users\lycadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Move-CsManagementServer-e2667772-d2da-454f-b879-465c5dcec77e.html".
    Move-CsManagementServer : Failed to execute the following PowerShell command - Import-CsLisConfiguration -FileName
    "C:\Users\lycadmin\Documents\LISBAK.zip".
    At line:1 char:1
    + Move-CsManagementServer -ConfigurationFileName "C:\localcms.zip" -Lis ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [Move-CsManagementServer], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PowershellInvokeFailed,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.MoveCms.MoveCmsCmdlet

Can someone please assist or at least advise on how to properly create a dummy export file as a workaround?  I don't even need lis information in my environment but the topology builder won't let me publish a new topology with a different CMS unless I move it first.  The fact I don't even need/use this data is really annoying me.   Thankx in advance.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi BigPlayfromMD,

According to your description, you want to move SFB database to a new SQL Server. To achieve your purpose, if you only deployed an SFB Enterprise pool in your environment, you must move CMS database to a temporary SFB Standard Server before moving to final server. 

To do this, you must follow two moves:
    1. Create a standard server to place the CMS database, and then move the Front End database to the new SQL with backup.
    2. Migrate CMS database from standard server to the new SQL server.
    Details about this you could refer to the following blog: Change a Pool Database Instance when the Pool Hosts the Central Management Server
    Please follow the steps and check whether fix your problems.  

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:03 AM
  • Thankx for your reply Evan87 but I'm not trying to move the database.  The database is already on the server I need it to be.  The topology that's published however has the old SFE server as the CMS host and not the new Skype Front End server.  
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:36 PM
  • Hi BigPlayfromMD,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. According to your original information, when you try to run the command Export-CsLisConfiguration, it shows error: Cannot open database "lis" requested by the login. For this, please make sure the account you are using is a member of RTCUniversalServerAdmins Group and member of the SQL Server local Administrators group. Also make sure you are running the SFB PowerShell as the administrator account. 

For better analysis of this problem, please provided the details about the error when you run the Move-CsManagementServer command, you could find it in the path in your environment:  C:\Users\lycadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Move-CsManagementServer-e2667772-d2da-454f-b879-465c5dcec77e.html. 

In addition, please check the Event Errors in the FE Servers and please the Event IDs to us. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Monday, February 18, 2019 7:32 AM
    Friday, February 15, 2019 7:41 AM
  • Hi BigPlayfromMD,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:40 AM
  • Good Day Evan87,

Sorry for late reply.  The account I'm using is currently:

• A member of RTCUniversalServerAdmins Group
    • A member of the SQL Server local Administrators group.
    • And I am running the SFB PowerShell as the administrator account.

Also please notice my statement from my original post which read:

"can log into CsConfiguration database running on same Instance".  

So if I can log into the CsConfiguration database running on the same instance AND do a export or import of that data, doesn't that imply my account has the correct privileges if the lis database is on the same instance?

In all honesty I don't even need the lis database because we don't use any of the features that data supplies anyway.  Thing is, in order to run a Move-CsManagementServer successfully I need to have a parameter for the import of the configuration backup files because per Microsoft: 

"you must include the ConfigurationFileName parameter to import your previously saved configuration backup file; the LisConfigurationFileName parameter, to import your previously saved E9-1-1 backup file (if you are using E9-11); and the Force parameter to force the transfer of the Central Management Server even though the existing server cannot be contacted.

Whenever I try to run the Move command w/out the LisConfigurationFileName parameter I get the following:

"Move-CsManagementServer : Failed to execute the following PowerShell command - Import-CsLisConfiguration -FileName "C:\Users\wdi_admin\Documents\LISBAK.zip".

I have also provided a screenshot of the .html log that you mentioned.  I only provided the section where the command craps out.   

I also found a post online that says when trying to recover Lync in a DR scenario (which is my case) that you can create a fake lis configuration .bak file and run the command using that but I have not been able to get that to work because it keeps saying the data in the .xml file I created is not available. 

If someone could just tell me how to create a dummy lis .bak file that actually works it would be much appreciated and probably get me past this roadblock. 

Keep in mind that it's failing the import because I'm using the dummy file I created as the old server is unavailable hence the DR recovery option.  

Screenshot attached, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Take Care.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:15 PM
  • Hi BigPlayfromMD,

Do you deploy mirror on the SQL backend? If you have deployed, please check the status the Lis database, make the state on primary is Principal, then you could run the Export-CsLisConfiguration command to export the .bak file. You could also refer to the similar case to find the details. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:47 AM
  • Hi BigPlayfromMD,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?
    If there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, February 25, 2019 9:27 AM
  • I'm not deploying SQL mirroring.  This is a stand alone server with SQL installed locally.  As I mentioned I don't even need that database but I can't run the Move-CsManagementServer command w/out it.  Do you know how to work around this?  
    Monday, March 4, 2019 7:34 PM
  • Hi BigPlayfromMD,

Please also try to run Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication in the FE Server, then wait about 10 minutes. After the replication complete, then run Move-CsManagementServer command and check whether fix this issue. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:47 AM
  • I ran that command and this is the error I received.  I've checked and database is NOT in read only mode.  Let me know your thoughts.  Thankx.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 12:09 PM
  • Hello! The topic is old, but it may be useful to someone: To solve this error Cannot open database "lis" requested by the login. The login failed., you can put the default configuration. I also did not have a LIS database, and it worked.

For successful execution of the command "Move-CsManagementServer" you must:

1. create a LisConfig.ziparchive containing 2 xml files. This is the default configuration.

• file1 name:"[Content_Types].xml"
    • file2 name: "LisDatabase.xml"

File contents:

• [Content_Types].xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><Types xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/package/2006/content-types"><Default Extension="xml" ContentType="text/xml" /></Types>

• LisDatabase.xml

<LisDatabase xmlns="urn:schema:Microsoft.Rtc.Lis.Database.2008" />

2. Save this as one line for each xml-file.

3. Then run the command:

Move-CsManagementServer -ConfigurationFileName "C:\Lync_bkp\Config.zip" -LisConfigurationFileName "C:\Lync_bkp\LisConfig.zip" -Force -TargetFqdn yourserver.local.domain

As a result: log --- "VERBOSE: The move completed successfully."

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 12:12 PM