none
File>Info>Project Information>Advanced Properties>Title RRS feed

• Question

• File>Info>Project Information>Advanced Properties>Title.

Sometimes when I start a new project I'll copy a similiar project, rename it and continue.

Most times the 'Title' field automatically changes to the new filename, but sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it stays as the previous file name, even after I've saved it with a different name.

I can't work out why this happens.

Monday, July 27, 2015 11:42 PM

All replies

• BierLover,

First of all make sure your version of Project if fully updated. For Project 2010 see: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp10.aspx. For Project 2013 see: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp13.aspx.

Are you aware that the Name field of the Project Summary Task is the same as the Title? Could it be that "most times" you display the Project Summary Task and give it a new name?

The File name and the Title are two different things so saving a file under a new name will have no effect on the file Title.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:33 AM
  • I think the title always changes in 2013, but not in 2010.  Which version are you using?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:04 AM
  • Ben,

Okay, I don't have Project 2013 so how about confirmation so instead of "I think" you can say for sure. And just curious, what does the Title change to?

Thanks.

John

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Okay, so in both 2010 and 2013 the project summary task name (Id = 0) and the title are the same thing.  In 2013, the project the summary line is always the project name.  In 2010 the name remains at Project1 (or whatever number window you have opened) unless you manually change it. 

If a file is copied and renamed, the 1st time you open that file in MSP2013 the title remains as it was, until it is saved, at which stage it changes to the new name (you need to re-open it to see the change).  This is not the case in MSP2010, where the title remains the same unless you change it.

I'd like to "think" that that answers it all!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:32 PM
  • Ben,

Yeah, it does, at least for me. Hopefully it also answers BierLover's original question.

John

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:55 PM