new installer and installation sharepoint 2k7 and clustered SQL RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a 2k3 cluster with 2 servers.  I have installed SQL2005 on the cluster. I then built a 2k3 server and ran the install for sharepoint 2007. It is at the point where it's asking me to specify configuration database.  I am stuck here.... I have put in the cluster name for database server ... I have put in the SQLadmin acct didn't work... I tried putting in the SQL2k7 name (sql install name) didn't work... put in my domin\spfarm and cluster1 didn't work.... i am stuck here... I do not install normally but figured I should get some experience (obviously required)....   Can anyone tell me if I can use the name of the cluster for the "database server"  .... I have tried the local Administrator acct, SPFarm acct, sqladmin acct... and all failed...so now i am at a losss as to what the issue is.  All of the accounts listed are members of Domain Admins. The cluster node names are Node1 and Node1... the cluster name is CLUSTER1. Would love to get this installed and working...
    • Edited by bz6djs Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:51 AM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I agree with Sharath.

I would like add some words:

You should enter the clustered database server name and database.

Try this to help diagnose:

1. Ping SQL/Cluster name
    2. Browse to \\ClusterName\C$ (this will tell you if your logged in account has admin permissions on that box)
    3. If SQL is a cluster, be sure which node is active
    4. Open the SQL server in SQL Management Studio
    5. Check for AV or firewall software on SQL server blocking the access
    6. Try user name as domain\username (NOT username@domain)

Finally, check the following link out, which might help you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/neilth/archive/2008/04/25/failed-to-connect-or-database-name-does-not-exist.aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, February 20, 2012 11:32 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you need to lot of trouble shooting here.

First you need to make sure that there is proper network connectivity between your sql 2005 cluster and the server on which you have installed MOSS 2007. You can check this by pinging the server name.

Once you confirm this, you need to enter the sqlservername\clustername for the details asked in the SharePoint configuration wizard. This should work. If it doesnot then go to run-> type cliconfg -> enable both TCP\IP as well as named pipes.

Then go to alias -> click on add->select tcp\ip radio button-> enter some name which you would like to give in the configuration wizard-> enter teh IP address of your sql cluster in server name-> click on ok

After this you should be able to install.

And for the name of the account, it would be better if you are using a service account which has administrator access to both the Web front-end server as well as the SQL cluster server.

Hope this helps:)

sharath kumart shivarama
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Sharath.

I would like add some words:

You should enter the clustered database server name and database.

Try this to help diagnose:

1. Ping SQL/Cluster name
    2. Browse to \\ClusterName\C$ (this will tell you if your logged in account has admin permissions on that box)
    3. If SQL is a cluster, be sure which node is active
    4. Open the SQL server in SQL Management Studio
    5. Check for AV or firewall software on SQL server blocking the access
    6. Try user name as domain\username (NOT username@domain)

Finally, check the following link out, which might help you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/neilth/archive/2008/04/25/failed-to-connect-or-database-name-does-not-exist.aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, February 20, 2012 11:32 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Did you resolve your issue? If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:32 AM