Is there a way to toggle Desktop Gadgets on and off with a keyboard combination in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Although there are keyboard combinations for gadgets such as Picture of Windows logo key + D (show desktop with gadgets) and Picture of Windows logo key + G (bring gadgets on front and focused) or even Picture of Windows logo key + space (aero peek) to play along with the desktop, I haven't found one for hiding and showing desktop gadgets just like OSX toggles on and off widgets.

There is an alternative though. Right click on the desktop -> view -> Show desktop gadgets, that executes the same command that I want to use with a keyboard press or combination.

Any ideas please?
    Thanks
    MSP, MCP, MCTS
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:09 AM

Answers

• Alexander - unfortunately there is no keyboard shortcut that performs this functionality.

luckman212 - Regarding how explorer.exe is doing it, quoting the MSDN Introduction to the Gadget Platform:

"A new desktop option to hide or show all gadgets by stopping and starting the sidebar.exe process is now available."

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:26 PM
  • tskill sidebar
    if %errorlevel%==1 start sidebar

This it the way !
    And it work :)

Make .bat file with this code and  go !
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:43 AM

All replies

• BUMP

Need this as well.  There must be an api call that can be triggered---- how is explorer.exe doing it?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Alexander - unfortunately there is no keyboard shortcut that performs this functionality.

luckman212 - Regarding how explorer.exe is doing it, quoting the MSDN Introduction to the Gadget Platform:

"A new desktop option to hide or show all gadgets by stopping and starting the sidebar.exe process is now available."

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:26 PM
  • I agree, this would be very useful to have.
    Also for desktop icons. I have folders for current projects on the desktop, but often I just wanna have them go away. A keyboard shortcut would come in handy. Fences (from Stardock) has this feature, you can double click the desktop to show/hide the icons and gadgets.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Bumpin good idea.  I would love to have this functionality.

Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Agreed. This would be a nice feature.

I play games on my laptop and flipping the gadgets off to gain a bit more memory would be handy.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:09 PM
  • I see that the View->Show Desktop Gadgets context menu does what I want, but there must be a way to trigger this via a script, or API call ??  I want to assign a hotkey to this!!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:28 PM
  • tskill sidebar

This it the way !

Monday, February 22, 2010 2:43 AM
  • tskill sidebar

This it the way !

Thanks giekars!!! It really works!
    There is a minor glitch though...When you toggle it on and off the status from View--> Show Desktop Gadgets doesn't update it's status when you turn the gadgets off. This results into showing that gadgets are turned on but no gadgets are available...
    To tell you the truth, I don't really mind having this minor glitch in exchange for this ease of switching on and off gadgets. Thanks once again and please post again if you find a workaround for the one I just mentioned!

MSP, MCP, MCTS
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:12 AM
  • On my Windows 7 laptop, I just to right-click, then hit down arrow, right arrow, up arrow, then "Enter" on the keyboard.  Works fine for me.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:35 PM
  • how do you get the code to work i am new to this and don't know what to type for %errorlevel% (or do you just type the code word for word? please help me 
    Friday, June 28, 2013 3:18 PM