none
the netbios domain name is already being used!

Question

• Hello all,

Just trying to promote new DC (forest) which comp name is DC01. During the promoting if i give the same name as Netbios domain name it gives error "the netbios domain name is already being used!"! Cant passed it empty as well. 

if i set another name than it will be reachable on the network with both new and old name too. So what should i do? Btw i can set another name after promoting

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it first DC in the forest?

if not then use another name. Why you want to change it later?

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:20 PM
  • Just don't want to use 2 name for the mentioned DC.  I am trying to understand. Why should I define a different netbios name. the computer already have a name!

Yes it is the first DC

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:46 PM
  • Just don't want to use 2 name for the mentioned DC >>> If you mean this DC name already on domain and unfunctional,just you should perform metadata cleanup to clean old records;

metadata cleanup; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx?f=255&mspperror=-2147217396

then try to promote..

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:48 AM
  • Do the metadata cleanup also try the below steps that may help:

• NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled. This occurs in the following situations:
      Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP option is not selected in Networks panel, the WINS tab in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings of IPv4 properties.
      NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled on the DHCP Server.
      The computers are using IPv6 configuration only.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Agree with Burak,

If you getting error other computer already in domain/ same netbios name computer is on network. 

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:41 PM
  • Hello,

The idea is that different DC's (actually all devices) will have different names so that the correct IP for each device can be correctly resolved by NetBIOS. If you have two devices with the same name, there will be a conflict and it will be a problem. The DC's need to have distinct NetBIOS names.

If there is no longer a physical computer with that name on the network and you are getting the error, perhaps (as mentioned already) you have an orphaned object in AD in which case you have to clean it up. If you had an old DC that was abruptly removed from the domain and the object is still in AD, you will have problems even if you name your new DC another name because orphaned DC objects will create problems in AD synchronization and DNS.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:56 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 30, 2017 8:03 AM