none
Cannot create virtual switch

Question

• Hello,

I'm running Win 2019 Server. I installed the Hyper-V role and associated features. When I try to create a new virtual switch I get an error that it failed to create the switch file not found. Any idea what this could be? I tried to uninstall the NICs and reinstall but still the same problem. 

Thank you. Karel Grulich, MCSE, SBS

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Please try the following thread with a similar issue as yours to see if it works.

2019 Hyper-V virtual switch error

First, update LAN drivers. 

Then, Remove the Hyper-V role, restart the server.

And launch an elevated PowerShell console and run 'netcfg -d'. 

Restart server and reinstall the Hyper-V role.

Hope above information can help you. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by karelg719 Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:52 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Please try the following thread with a similar issue as yours to see if it works.

2019 Hyper-V virtual switch error

First, update LAN drivers. 

Then, Remove the Hyper-V role, restart the server.

And launch an elevated PowerShell console and run 'netcfg -d'. 

Restart server and reinstall the Hyper-V role.

Hope above information can help you. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by karelg719 Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:52 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Hello Michael, thank you for the info. That actually resolved the issue. The only question is that installing the intel network drivers also installed something called "Intel(R) network Connections 23.5.0.0 which I can now see in the programs and features and I also see a service related to this being shut down when I shut down the server. Is this needed for the drivers to work?

This is the link to the drivers download:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26092/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2016-?product=36773

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Intel Network Connections is a utility to control how an Intel network card functions, not normally needed and probably installed if you just installed the driver using the defaults rather than custom, to only install the driver. Therefore, usually safe to uninstall.

Reference link:

Do I need Intel Network Connections?

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Highly appreciate your effort and time, if you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:51 AM
  • Hello Michael, Actually the install program is an "exe" file. The service was the Intel PRO set which I could uncheck and it uninstalled it and I left only the "drivers" box check which left the drivers on my machine. However the "Intel Network Connections" remains on the machine. I'm afraid that if I do remove it that it will remove the drivers as well.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:22 PM