Cannot specify Workspace folder with MVMC PowerShell module RRS feed

• Question

• I’m currently working with a customer to migrate them from VMware to Hyper-V.  I’m using MVMC PowerShell automated with Service Management Automation in Azure Pack.  The process is working well, but I’ve hit a roadblock:

• When using the MVMC GUI, the user has the option to specify a Workspace folder, which temporarily stores the VMDK file exported from VMware;
    • The option to specify a Workspace folder does not seem to be exposed to the MVMC PowerShell module (specifically the ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDiskOvf cmdlet)
    • The impact of this in the context of SMA is that the MVMC module uses C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Service Management Automation\MVMC on the runbook worker as the temporary storage
    • The C:\ partition fills up and the OVF export hangs/fails

I didn’t uncover this problem in my lab as I was using test machines which were quite small, so the temporary files fit on the C:\ partition.  However, the customer is using larger servers with multiple disks, so now the problem has arisen.

Is there a way to specify a Workspace folder for the ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDiskOvf cmdlet so that I can avoid this issue?  The combination of MVMC and SMA is working really well, and it would be a shame to have to ditch the process because of this one problem.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:10 PM

Answers

• I ended up provisioning another runbook worker, installing SMA to a large D:\ partition so that it would be used as the temporary storage for the Convert-MvmcVirtualHardDiskOvf process.

Bit of a messy workaround - would have been much neater to handle all of this using a simple switch for the cmdlet.

• Marked as answer by JamesBannan Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:38 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:38 PM