Outlook 2010 - randomly stripping attachments from external bound emails RRS feed

• Question

• User sends attachments to an external email address. Sometimes it works ok, sometimes one or more of the attachments are removed. Even the sent item shows the email with removed attachments.

No pattern to the attachment type- they are just word or PDF anyway.

Its not our outgoing smarthost doing anything because it appears outlook is stripping the attachment.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Even the sent item shows the email with removed attachments.

If the attachments do not show even in the Sent Items folder, it means the issue lies with the sender side.

How often does this issue happen? How large are the attachments?

Does this issue happen to certain users or random users?

Does this issue happen if we try testing this issue within OWA?

In addition, do you have any third-party add-ins installed in Outlook? If so, please try disable all third-party add-ins and then see if this issue continues. Meanwhile, anti-virus software always integrates itself into Outlook and scans your outgoing and incoming emails, which has been proved to be the culprit of several send/receive issues in Outlook. I'd recommend you contact the support of the anti-virus software and disable the integrations, and then check if this issue persists.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

>>Even the sent item shows the email with removed attachments.

If the attachments do not show even in the Sent Items folder, it means the issue lies with the sender side.

How often does this issue happen? How large are the attachments?

Does this issue happen to certain users or random users?

Does this issue happen if we try testing this issue within OWA?

In addition, do you have any third-party add-ins installed in Outlook? If so, please try disable all third-party add-ins and then see if this issue continues. Meanwhile, anti-virus software always integrates itself into Outlook and scans your outgoing and incoming emails, which has been proved to be the culprit of several send/receive issues in Outlook. I'd recommend you contact the support of the anti-virus software and disable the integrations, and then check if this issue persists.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

thanks Steve.

Attachments are relatively small. Users advise it seem to happen randomly - maybe once a day.

I will look at the AV side of things I think.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Thank you for the update. Please let us know the result at your most convenient time.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:04 AM