none
LEVEL OF PLANS RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Please guide me about the levels of plan in project planning using MS Project.

For example

1. What will be the level one plan detail ?

2. Level Two plan ?

3. Level Three plan ?

4. Level Four plan ?

5. Level Five Plan ?

Kind response will help me to understand my plan level. 

Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:36 AM

All replies

• More relevant is: what do you need to communicate to your project stakeholders? What do you need to report? The answer to your question depends on what your schedule needs to communicate or calculate.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Thank you Mr. GIll,

Please can you help me more by little explaining.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Experience,

I did a quick Google search of level one plan and ran across this website. I think it is a good summary that answers your basic question.

http://www.egpet.net/vb/threads/47287-Level-1-2-3-4-amp-5-in-project-planning

John

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Rod's answer includes an interesting link I hadn't come across before. That one looks particularly suited to the building industry although the same logic would apply to all planning scenarios. It is interesting that the planning levels relate to maturity of project planning processes - e.g. whether resources are just scheduled or scheduled and tracked. 

I have come across references to levels of planning expressed as the number of outline levels in a work breakdown structure:

Level 1 would be something like the major phases of the project, typically expressed as the completion of a major deliverable or the achievement of a major milestone;

Level 2 would be the next level down and would typically refer to sub-sections of level 1 phases, more detailed deliverables, internal milestones, etc.

Depending on the size of the project this breakdown to successive levels of detail (Progressive elaboration) could go on to 3, 4, 5 or more levels. Typically when deciding how many levels to go down to, the answer is 'until it's time to stop' - and that is when the tasks in the work breakdown structure aren't worth elaborating any more. You may like to use the 4~40 - or the 8~80 - hour rule for the appropriate size of the lowest level tasks.

Note that in this model the level of detail is not related to the maturity of the project management processes. Whether you are working at the second, third or fourth level, you should still track resource activity and project progress.

Graham

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:33 PM