none
Logic behind having to accept server changes with DEPENDENCIES RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anyone know the logic behind having to accept server changes with dependencies (deliverable feature)? Shouldn't this edit of the communicated delivery date automatically be changed in the receiving plan? The acceptance of late/early delivery is in the sync-action...

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Sander,

Here is an interesting article on the delivrables dependencies features: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2007/02/24/deliverables.aspx

It applies to PS2007 but the feature is quite the same in PS2010.

What is exactly your concern?

Basically, concerning the dependencies, first you can retrieve the information on the dependency date on the server (meaning the date coming from the deliverables published by the "sender" project manager). Then you can decide wheither or not you can to synchornize your milestone on the dependency.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Sander --

After the PM accepts task updates of any kind in PWA, the PM still must open the project in Microsoft Project to review the changes to the schedule.  That is just how the system works.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi Guillaume, hi Dale,

Well, I find it is a challenge to explain the concept of deliverables and dependencies to users. I get the question often why the server does not display a date that is not yours automatically. It is programmed by Microsoft to be a necessary step in the proces before accepting the delay. I wondered if one of you guys could think of a reason why this step was found to be a necessary one by the programmers of the tool. 

Sander

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Sander --

Neither Guillaume nor I work for Microsoft, so I do not think we can tell you why they programmed the tool to work the way it works.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Hi Sander,

I won't talk for Microsoft but here is my thought:

If the new dependency date is automatically shown in the receiving project plan, then how would you know that it has changed regarding to the last time you opend your project plan? Thus it means that in the deliverables/dependencies process, it should include a complete recording of all delivrables/dependencies values updates, that would make it more complicated than asking the project manager to manually retreive dependencies updates, so he'll be aware of any shift.

This could be one among other explanations..

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:06 PM