none
Clean install of Windows 10 Pro results in Windows 10 Home RRS feed

• Question

• Issue:  After a clean install my installation is Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Pro that it was at after being upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro

I started my Windows 10 upgrade from a Windows 8.1 Pro installation on my laptop.  The initial upgrade went fairly well and after it was all done the result was a good installation of Windows 10 Pro as expected.

However, my end desire is to do a clean install on a new SSD and end with Windows 10 Pro being installed on it however, after going through the clean install process my version of Windows 10 is left at the "Home" level and not the "Pro" version my upgrade was at. 

I went through the process of building a USB flash drive with Windows 10 after my successful upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I used it to do my clean install with.  Is there something I've yet to do to finish the process of getting it to Pro? What did I miss?

• Edited by Optiri Monday, December 28, 2015 3:03 AM Solved
    Saturday, December 26, 2015 7:43 PM

Answers

• Ok. Assuming the Win 8 key you retrieved is a Pro key. If it is not, I cannot help you.

If it is a Win 8 Pro key, give this a try...............

Start button > left side, Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change product key........

now enter the generic Win 10 Pro product key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T >
    It will start switching your Home version to Pro version BUT it will NOT activate.

When it is done, use your Win 8 Pro product key to activate.

• Marked as answer by Optiri Monday, December 28, 2015 3:04 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 5:15 AM

All replies

• One of the early options in the install process is to select either Home or Professional.

I think it defaults to Home if you do no consciously select the Professional version.

Read How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro without hassles 
    • Edited by R T F M Saturday, December 26, 2015 9:30 PM additional info
    • Proposed as answer by jietn Monday, May 23, 2016 5:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jietn Monday, May 23, 2016 5:24 PM
    Saturday, December 26, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Did it ask for a key? Did you get the choose a version screen? If not then maybe related to a key held in the UEFI Firmware.

Windows 10 Multiple Edition does not prompt which version to install

That thread was caused by a UEFI key and the poster found a solution and posted it. So if you did not get prompted for key or version have a look at that thread.

Saturday, December 26, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Issue:  After a clean install my installation is Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Pro that it was at after being upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro

I started my Windows 10 upgrade from a Windows 8.1 Pro installation on my laptop.  The initial upgrade went fairly well and after it was all done the result was a good installation of Windows 10 Pro as expected.

However, my end desire is to do a clean install on a new SSD and end with Windows 10 Pro being installed on it however, after going through the clean install process my version of Windows 10 is left at the "Home" level and not the "Pro" version my upgrade was at. 

I went through the process of building a USB flash drive with Windows 10 after my successful upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I used it to do my clean install with.  Is there something I've yet to do to finish the process of getting it to Pro? What did I miss?

Before I go any further, I need your answer..............

Do you have a Win 8/8.1 Pro product key ?

If yes, I can help and it will be quite simple and easy.

Saturday, December 26, 2015 9:48 PM
  • Laptop came with Win8 pre-installed. I upgraded it to Win8.1 and then the Pro version.  However, I didn't record the keys used to do the upgrades.

I have however, downloaded ProduKey and it shows the what I believe is the original Windows 8 (BIOS OEM key) and it also shows the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from after the upgrade.  I don't have the original Windows 8.1 Pro key which I would think is the most important. It came from a college computer class that MS gave us access to.

Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:03 AM
  • Use this link to download Showkey

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html#post160472

Scroll down to and click ...........Download:  ShowKeyPlus

Compare the one you got from Produkey and see if they match.

As to the Win 10 Pro product key that you found:

If it is ........VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

It is just a generic key used only for installing. It is no good for activation.

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:37 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:26 AM
  • Thanks! 

Yes, ShowKeyPlus and ProduKey list the same exact product keys.

ShowKeyPlus however, is a bit more informative on which edition the keys come from as it does tell me the OEM key is from Win 8 RTM.

Wish I would have used this before upgrading from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

And... the Win 10 Pro key I have is exactly what you referenced above.
    • Edited by Optiri Sunday, December 27, 2015 5:04 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:46 AM
  • Is this typical of how a clean install will work or, back to my original question, did I miss doing something from the beginning that caused my install to not make it to Win 10 Pro?

Does it take time after an upgrade for the MS activation servers to sync up so when a clean install is performed it gets the correct information?  I did the upgrade to Win 10 Pro and then about 8-10 hours later did the clean install using the USB install process.

Sunday, December 27, 2015 5:12 AM
  • Ok. Assuming the Win 8 key you retrieved is a Pro key. If it is not, I cannot help you.

If it is a Win 8 Pro key, give this a try...............

Start button > left side, Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change product key........

now enter the generic Win 10 Pro product key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T >
    It will start switching your Home version to Pro version BUT it will NOT activate.

When it is done, use your Win 8 Pro product key to activate.

• Marked as answer by Optiri Monday, December 28, 2015 3:04 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 5:15 AM
  • Well, that was easy!

I appreciate the help all, and it appears that the solution was as simple as adding the generic Win 10 Pro product key as described by david hk129 above.  However, I have not had to activate things further by entering the Win 8 Pro key as the activation page already shows that "Windows is activated". 

I followed the instructions above and after entering the generic Win 10 Pro product key, windows went through a short install sequence and rebooted and when it was done everything appears to be good for the Win 10 Pro installation as the activation page says Windows 10 Pro edition and I have access to Bitlocker, Hyper-V and Remote Desktop.

I'm still wondering though, why it didn't do this during the initial clean install process, so if there's any ideas I'm still interested.

Thanks!

Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Told you it was easy provided you do have a Win8/8.1 Pro product key.

I am surprised though that you did not have to activate it with the Win 8 Pro key.
    That's strange. I don't understand that part.

Anyway, problem solved.

If you don't mind, please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

Happy New Year.

• Edited by david hk129 Monday, December 28, 2015 2:03 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 11:55 PM