none
Migrate DPM to another Physical Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have one DPM server on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and SCDPM 2012 SP1 running on it. This server has OS related issue and giving BSOD frequently, Have logged call with Microsoft but it hasn't fixed yet. 

I am planning to move this server to another physical server with Fresh OS and new DPM setup. This server having 400 Datasources and 37 TB storage pool on it.

The biggest fear we have of Tape data information. We write tapes on every month with tape retention of 5 years. There's no any certificate or encryption is on DPM server side. The encryption we have is on tape library side provided by HP. 

I just want to confirm that if I move DPM all configuration with storage pool to new server. Will be able to restore data on new DPM server from tapes which we wrote last year?

In simple words just want to confirm that tape information will be loosed?

Friday, February 6, 2015 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, as long as you do a true hardware migration keeping the same DPM Server name and restore the DPMDB, then the rebuilt server will be able to read the tapes and restore data back to original location.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 7, 2015 5:23 AM