none
Windows Server 2012 stuck in Automatic Repair Loop (vmware)

Question

• I have been trying to follow the solution listed here to fix this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/87df48fd-0ae3-4bc2-b3f4-b39aea19215a/windows-server-2012-essentials-stuck-in-automatic-repair-loop?forum=smallbusinessserver2011essentials

I keep getting errors when trying to Delete my SAM, SOFTWARE, DEFAULT, SECURITY Files from my config so that I can try restoring them. I end up with the message:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

For the life of meI can't find what process is holding it up. 

I have booted from a DVD and run these commands.

bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /Fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

Nothing seems to get me out of this repair boot loop.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:53 PM

All replies

• I have been trying to follow the solution listed here to fix this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/87df48fd-0ae3-4bc2-b3f4-b39aea19215a/windows-server-2012-essentials-stuck-in-automatic-repair-loop?forum=smallbusinessserver2011essentials

I keep getting errors when trying to Delete my SAM, SOFTWARE, DEFAULT, SECURITY Files from my config so that I can try restoring them. I end up with the message:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

For the life of meI can't find what process is holding it up. 

I have booted from a DVD and run these commands.

<g class="gr_ gr_31 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="31" id="31">bootrec</g> /fixMBR
    <g class="gr_ gr_23 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="23" id="23">bootrec</g> /Fixboot
    <g class="gr_ gr_24 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="24" id="24">bootrec</g> /rebuildBCD

Nothing seems to get me out of this repair boot loop.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the below steps.

1. If the automatic repair couldn’t really repair your PC and just get you stuck in a repair loop, it’s better to disable the automatic startup repair. Type the following command and press Enter:

bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

2. A corrupted registry settings can also cause an auto-repair loop. Here is how to restore your registry from the RegBack directory. The RegBack folder is located in :/windows/system32/config, which is used by Windows to hold a recent backup copy of the registry hives.

Assuming your system drive is d:, run the following command to restore Windows registry:

copy d:\windows\system32\config\RegBack\* d:\windows\system32\config

if prompted to overwrite existing files, type All and hit Enter. Type exit and hit Enter to close the Command Prompt window. Restart your computer and most probably, you may able to access your Windows system as before.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:38 AM
  • Worked With Me Thanks
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:39 AM
  • Hi Alvin,

Thank you heaps for providing your solution. I was at my wits' end when I found your suggestion.

Worked like a charm!

Regards,

Trev

!TrevZeuq!

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Thanks ,Worked ,i got VM again . 

Saturday, June 2, 2018 5:26 AM
  • Coping backup REG files saved my bacon.  :)

Monday, July 30, 2018 6:00 PM
  • Hi Alvwan,

Once the command is written to break the automatic repair loop:

Once the regback is done:

Assuming your system drive is d:, run the following command to restore Windows registry:

copy d:\windows\system32\config\RegBack\* d:\windows\system32\config

Please explain:

1) If the computer has another boot problem:

a) will it no longer have the option to perform automatic repair or was the step only temporary and not a permanent step?

b) will the same regback work?  Will the regback file be a different date with a different status or will it return to this regback?

c) how come there was no need to check the size of the regback file?

d) how come there was no need to check the date of the regback file?

In addition to the above if available please include links for each of the above commands/troubleshooting steps.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:02 PM
  • Boom, this worked for me:

Issuing the following command stopped the automatic repair

This then allowed me to see what the error was which was preventing the boot.

Now I could see the error was corrupt registry, so issuing the below command restores registry from backup:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\RegBack\* c:\windows\system32\config

Note if your system drive is not C change the paths above to drive letter of your system drive.

Then you reboot and hey presto it boots as normal.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Thank you very much for this information. Helped me get a server working again.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:49 PM