RDS 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me what the VM's RDS 2012R2 requirements for each role are:

Connection Broker

Session Host

License Server

Gateway

Web Access

Also, how many users can RDS support simultaneously?

Basically what Im asking is what are the:

HD requirements? Memory? and How many processors?

A Microsoft TechNet link supporting documentation would be terrific!

• Edited by jarivera71 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:27 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:22 PM

Answers

• Check these out. I hope they answer your questions.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831447.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The document above says there are no addition hardware requirements besides what is needed to run 2012 R2. In that case, refer to the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303418.aspx

You will however want to give your system adequate resources for the amount of users you plan to have using the system. I do not think there is a maximum number of users, but if you start to experience performance degredation you will want to add a second RDS server. You can also load balance more than one server for better performance. I have 4 RDS servers using 2X load balancing software.

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

If the RD Session Host role service is not installed on the computer, and, without licenses(RDS CALs), a connection can only allow a maximum of two simultaneous remote connections to the computer. In this situation, if you need to allow 2 connections from the same user you will need additional configuration.

There is a licensing grace period during which no license server is required, after the grace period ends, clients must have a valid RDS CAL issued by a license server before they can log on to an RD Session Host server.

Besides, with CALs purchased RDS deployment, by default there is no limitation about the user number(simultaneously). You can limit the number of users who can connect simultaneously to a Remote Desktop session/Remote Desktop Services session by Group Policy.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:45 AM

All replies

• Check these out. I hope they answer your questions.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831447.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The document above says there are no addition hardware requirements besides what is needed to run 2012 R2. In that case, refer to the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303418.aspx

You will however want to give your system adequate resources for the amount of users you plan to have using the system. I do not think there is a maximum number of users, but if you start to experience performance degredation you will want to add a second RDS server. You can also load balance more than one server for better performance. I have 4 RDS servers using 2X load balancing software.

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

If the RD Session Host role service is not installed on the computer, and, without licenses(RDS CALs), a connection can only allow a maximum of two simultaneous remote connections to the computer. In this situation, if you need to allow 2 connections from the same user you will need additional configuration.

There is a licensing grace period during which no license server is required, after the grace period ends, clients must have a valid RDS CAL issued by a license server before they can log on to an RD Session Host server.

Besides, with CALs purchased RDS deployment, by default there is no limitation about the user number(simultaneously). You can limit the number of users who can connect simultaneously to a Remote Desktop session/Remote Desktop Services session by Group Policy.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:45 AM