none
Restart shuts down computer, but it does not restart RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to restart the computer from the start menu it shuts off. It takes about an hour or two before you get the HP logo and then windows starts. It has been doing this for a few months now. Other than this it goes to the internet and does everything else just fine. At this time I do not have 800 dollars to purchase a new computer. What is the problem. In BIOS there is section that says "BIOS days start, from Sunday to Saturday, with hours and minutes.

What should the parameters for this section be? I have a HP OMNI 120-1120t Intel (Leon) IC NA PC, BIOS LEO_707.rom V7.07, that is running WIN7 PRO 64-Bit Service Pack 1.

How can I stop this from happening?

There are no threads relating to this issue.

Tony A. Smith,III.

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:08 PM

Answers

• There is no need to play with BIOS. If you have done anything yourself then you will find an option to reset BIOS to default state. And make sure the date and timing are appropriate in the BIOS.

Enter in to the Safe mode to check if you are experiencing the same or not.Remove all unnecessary peripherals and see if the issue persists.

Try to perform a Clean Boot.

Make sure all your drivers are updated.

If you want you may want to try to live-boot an OS like Ubuntu to see if you still have issues in a different OS without having to reinstall your current one. If that seems to work consistently then it is likely not a hardware issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Saturday, September 26, 2015 12:54 AM

All replies

• There is no need to play with BIOS. If you have done anything yourself then you will find an option to reset BIOS to default state. And make sure the date and timing are appropriate in the BIOS.

Enter in to the Safe mode to check if you are experiencing the same or not.Remove all unnecessary peripherals and see if the issue persists.

Try to perform a Clean Boot.

Make sure all your drivers are updated.

If you want you may want to try to live-boot an OS like Ubuntu to see if you still have issues in a different OS without having to reinstall your current one. If that seems to work consistently then it is likely not a hardware issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Saturday, September 26, 2015 12:54 AM
  • Actually, there are quite a few threads devoted to this problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/restart-shuts-down-my-computer/3669746b-eeda-4c0f-97cd-04fbc092409f

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/microsoft-needs-to-fix-the-shut-down-issue/61784a62-c89c-40d7-8d00-d636b550667a?rtAction=1465179484590

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/restart-shuts-down-computer-shut-down-powers-off/785b238d-d194-4d63-821f-0492728c8703

And while the original poster has left, if MS could be so kind as to keep this thread alive with suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Monday, June 6, 2016 3:19 AM