Windows crashes due to bad sector on hard disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.

When playing a particular video, my computer would BSOD or freeze when the video reached a particular spot in time. If I just read the video file on the command line (fc /b the_file the_file), my computer would also freeze.

After running chkdsk, it turned out that
    the video file had a bad sector, which chkdsk fixed. Now the video file plays fine.

Why should Windows BSOD or freeze on a bad sector? This must be a bug!

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:58 PM

Answers

• Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a third-party device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Since this issue specially occurs when playing a particular video, let's upgrade the video card to try to resolve this issue.

If the issue still occurs, temporary disable the anti-virus.

If the issue persists, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:27 AM