Software updates not working after changing the central parent (all expired) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, i've been searching for a couple of days with no luck.  Here's the scenario:

We originally had the central parent site as APD, and it had a bunch of secondary child sites, and also a primary child called CEN.  then a week ago i wanted to make CEN the central primary site, and basically get rid of APD.  I read somewhere that the first step was to swap the sites, so everything could sync properly.  so i changed CEN to be a central site, then about an hour later i changed APD to have CEN as it's parent.  This seemed to work fine - all the locked packages and collections etc on CEN became unlocked, and everything appeared to work fine. 

Then, looking at the software updates (eg Software Updates -> Update Repository -> Security Updates -> All Updates) i noticed ALL the updates had a grey icon (instead of the normal icon with the green arrow), and were expired.  I gave it a few hours, hoping it might just need time to sync, and that indeed seemed to be the case - slowly the updates started to re-enable themselves (get the green arrow or yellow arrrow icon back), and things were looking up.  I kept an eye on it, and once 371 updates had re-enabled themselves, it just seemed to stop.  i checked the wsyncmgr.log file on CEN, and i can see this:

Synchronizing update b0a6a382-7029-4546-85e9-039dbbb800f7: MS08-037 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951748) 
    SQL MESSAGE: sp_SetupSDMPackage - SDMPackage refers another SDMPackage that is not available yet  
    sp_MigrateSDMPackage returned an error 2 
    Referenced SDMPackages are not available yet: 
    Failed to sync update b0a6a382-7029-4546-85e9-039dbbb800f7. Error: Failed to create SDM package Site_D1116251-2806-4DBC-AFE5-518FD74CFC67/SUM_b0a6a382-7029-4546-85e9-039dbbb800f7(1). CSDMTypeSource error: 2. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.UpdatesManager.UpdatesManagerClass.DefineUpdate

i'll get the above over and over.  usually just before it seems to attempt and fail, i'll have something like this:

sync: SMS synchronizing updates 
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 0 out of 4869 items (0%)   
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 100 out of 4872 items (2%)
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 200 out of 4881 items (4%)   
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 300 out of 4912 items (6%) 
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 400 out of 4923 items (8%)
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 500 out of 4941 items (10%)
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 600 out of 4955 items (12%)
    sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 700 out of 4967 items (14%)

it would finish with:

Synchronizing update e990513a-54e8-4dc5-a88b-edf65111e0ee: MS08-022 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB944338)   
    *** EXEC sp_MigrateSDMPackage 15311, 146843, 0  
    *** [HYT00][0][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired 
    Failed to sync update e990513a-54e8-4dc5-a88b-edf65111e0ee. Error: Thread was being aborted. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.UpdatesManager.UpdatesManagerClass.DefineUpdate  
    Sync failed: The operation has timed out 
    STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=ASDPWIIN013 SITE=CEN PID=4540 TID=2592 GMTDATE=Wed Dec 01 03:35:35.931 2010 ISTR0="" ISTR1="The operation has timed out" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 
    Sync failed. Will retry in 60 minutes

i also get an event ID 6703 in the application event log saying "The operation has timed out"

i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the SUP via SCCM, i have made sure the proxy details are correct, wsus and sccm both say that the CEN SUP should be getting updates from MS.  everything in the WCM.log file looks correct..

thanks in advance!

Nick.

• Edited by omniwolf Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:10 AM tried to quote :(
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:53 AM

Answers

• It's time to call CSS. You have a very particular and uncommon situation that is well outside of normal practice and at this point only they can help you troubleshoot.
    Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    • Marked as answer by omniwolf Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:44 AM

All replies

• [HYT00][0][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired 

This error is indicative of an issue with connectivity to the WSUS database and not any type of error downloading the update from the internet. You should check on the health of your SQL Server instance as well as the SUSDB database. Make sure permissions are also in tact and that the SPN still exists if using a remote SQL Server which is not running as local SYSTEM.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:15 AM
  • It seems related to a known issue. Please backup your database and run the following SQL Command on your Site server:

Delete from CI_ConfigurationItems Where CIType_ID in (1, 6, 8);
    Update CI_SDMPackages set IsDeleted = 1 where SourceSite = <central site code>;
    Exec sp_DeleteOldSDMPackageData 0;

It will clear out the esisting software update entries.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:02 AM
  • [HYT00][0][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired 

This error is indicative of an issue with connectivity to the WSUS database and not any type of error downloading the update from the internet. You should check on the health of your SQL Server instance as well as the SUSDB database. Make sure permissions are also in tact and that the SPN still exists if using a remote SQL Server which is not running as local SYSTEM.

i logged onto my WSUS db and everything seemed fine.  so i completely uninstalled WSUS from the central site (deleted the SUSDB database mbd file, and all downloaded updates) and reinstalled.  no luck, still getting the same error
    Monday, December 6, 2010 11:49 PM
  • It seems related to a known issue. Please backup your database and run the following SQL Command on your Site server:

Delete from CI_ConfigurationItems Where CIType_ID in (1, 6, 8);
    Update CI_SDMPackages set IsDeleted = 1 where SourceSite = <central site code>;
    Exec sp_DeleteOldSDMPackageData 0;

It will clear out the esisting software update entries.

Hope it helps.

i will give this a try, thanks!
    Monday, December 6, 2010 11:51 PM
  • ok i have run this, after about an hour of running it said this:

(54450 row(s) affected)

Msg 547, Level 16, State 0, Procedure sp_DeleteOldSDMPackageData, Line 52

The DELETE statement conflicted with the REFERENCE constraint "CI_ConfigurationItemRelations_CI_ConfigurationItems_FK2". The conflict occurred in database "SMS_CEN", table "dbo.CI_ConfigurationItemRelations", column 'FromCI_ID'.

The statement has been terminated.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:16 AM
  • It's time to call CSS. You have a very particular and uncommon situation that is well outside of normal practice and at this point only they can help you troubleshoot.
    • Marked as answer by omniwolf Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:44 AM
  • ok, i logged a call with MS, and they started investigating the job.

meanwhile, i noticed in the wsyncmgr.log that it was hammering along "synchronising" thousands of updates.  so i just left it alone, and after about 30000 updates it finished, with no errors.  i had a look in the updates screen in the sccm admin console, and there were tons of updates in there, and they weren't expired!

"huzzah!" i thought, all has been fixed.  So we cancelled the MS call, and started patting ourselves on the back.

next, however, i noticed if i clicked on any of our update lists, they had no updates in them.  also the deployment management objects had no updates, and the deployment package objects were empty of updates too.  if any of us tried to refresh the object to see if it was just kidding around, the admin console would think for a few mins, and then crash.

no probs, we'll just delete them, and create them again fresh.. right?  wrong.  we can't even delete them :(

so it seems the above SQL command has fixed our major problem, but left behind some crappy records or something in the DB?  any ideas how we can get rid of them (or better yet i guess restore the packages that were inside so we don't have to create all the update lists from scratch)?

thanks!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Running a SQL command outside the advice of CSS is of course bad joo-joos (as you've found out). I suggest rolling back or (re-)opening a case with CSS as you are probably in uncharted territory.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:32 AM
  • interestingly when i first submitted the job with MS, i pointed the CSS rep  to this thread so he could look over my exact problem and what i've been trying, and he confirmed that the above SQL command was the correct one to run.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:46 AM
  • I am also facing above mention issue and I have run same given command…

But can you please tell me how much time it will take to delete old records? As it is taking very log time.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

I faced the same situation, best resolution of that KB: Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB944338)   if is set expired/superseded, you can set in WSUS console as DECLINED,  and at next cycle of SYNC the error should be no more.

Check first if KB is currenlty deployed or not. If it is, personally I would stop deploying it just for now, until WSUS and SYNC of SDM_packages will be ok, after cleaning these entries in SYNC log and table CI_SDMPACKAGES, you can resume by approve it in WSUS, download it to SCCM pacakge and deploy it.

BR,

NB

Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:19 PM
  • on the other hand you have this WSUS ID: D1116251-2806-4DBC-AFE5-518FD74CFC67  from line in wsyncmgr.log, check if this WSUS id equals with the one that you can find on Central site registry at 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER UPDATE SOURCE, if they aren't then you have also a SYNC Issue.

Also WSUS ID can be found in table CI_UpdateSource, see if you have there more than one WSUS set as active (equals again SYNC issue). If you have 2 WSUS ids, and both active, the old one should be deleted, the new one as I said you can find above in the registry.

BR,

NB

Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:29 PM