vista upgrade sp1 formatting issues RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a vista home premium sp1 upgrade and upgraded my xp to vista premium.

Now I want to format my HD to clean everything out, except the vista home premium upgrade doesn't have access to a partitioner and XP wont run because I'm not upgrading. Will there be issues if i run a DOS cd and just format c: ? I know there are some fancy words in the EULA that forbid using XP and Vista at the same time, and I dont know if this would be recognized or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:52 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

You can refer to the following article to format the drive and install Windows Vista using your Windows Vista Upgrade disk.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 15, 2008 6:06 AM

All replies

• When you are at the step in the install process where Vista asks where you want to install it, there is a link to something like more options or additional information or something worded similarly to that.

Click it.

It will let you erase and format whatever disk you want.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:42 PM
  • that's the problem - it tells me to run the install cd at startup, but when i do that, it says it doesn't have the power to partition anything. i'm running a complete re-install of vista to make sure i haven't missed anything at the end of the install process or anything (doubtful, but hey).
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:37 PM
  •  

Hi,

You can refer to the following article to format the drive and install Windows Vista using your Windows Vista Upgrade disk.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 15, 2008 6:06 AM