Migrate UM from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Exchange UM since Exchange 2007, using the ps1 script to move all my Auto Attendants into the 2010 environment. I'm at a loss on how to efficiently do this in moving from Ex2010 to Ex2013, though. I've read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn169226 and it's Step 3 that's got me bewildered. I have 44 Auto Attendants, most of which with up to five custom greetings, numerous key mappings, etc. That Step 3 indicates having to move each custom greeting individually.

I'm just getting into PowerShell and struggling as-is. Compounding that floundering with the lack of clear documentation on moving custom greetings en mass has me frustrated. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:19 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Before we migrate all the users to 2013, we would recommend you to test voice mail on 2013 server.

Here are the steps we need to follow to test VM on 2013 server:

1. Create a certificate for both Unified Messaging service and the Call Router services. Here is an article on how to create certificates , http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn205141(v=exchg.150).aspx

2. Create new dial plan in Exchange 2013. Here is an article on how to create a dial plan, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123819(v=exchg.150).aspx

3. Run scripts on both Exchange and Lync servers.

4. Create test user and enable the user for both Lync and Exchange.

5. Enable newly created user for UM and test voicemail for that user.

Additionally here is a link which has checklist to upgrade from Exchange 2010UM to 2013UM http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn169228(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thanks,

James

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:20 AM
  • James, for varied and numerous reasons, this is not a typical migration. Over 90% of my users are already on Exchange 2013, so testing is now moot. I have my feet on the two preverbal banks of Exchange and need a shove to get moved on over.

I am using Cisco CallManager 8.6 for my VoIP, but also have Lync 2010 for IM and PC-to-PC calling. I believe I can use your steps to accomplish what needs to get done, but am stuck early on with these.

Specifically, I used the article in step 1 to create a certificate request (using both ECP and EMS). Because I have Lync integrated, I understand that I cannot use a self-signed certificate. Therefore, I went to my internal CA and tried to Submit a New Request, browsing to the REQ file created previously. However, when I select this file I get the following error:
    The request contains no certificate template information.
    0x80094801 (-2146875391)
    Denied by Policy Module 0x80094801, The request does not contain a certificate template extension of the Certificate Template request attribute.

I even tried to use Windows PowerShell to do the request, pointing to the Exchange Enrollment Agent (Offline request) and got the same thing. How do I get this certificate installed?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Additionally, the last article you reference is the one I started with. When it references Import dial plan and auto attendant custom prompts, the related article indicates how to move individual custom audio files over. As indicated originally, I have scores of these files and auto attendants. Is there no way to import them directly into 2013? I'm starting to think that Microsoft expects admins to simply re-create everything in the new environment rather than providing tools to move it over.

David

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:37 PM
  • So this forum post largely left this situation unresolved. I was able to make more modifications to my Cisco UCM (VoIP) system which fully enabled by 2010/2013 Exchange UM functionality.

At this point, all that remains (I believe) is to "Import the Dial Plan" from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013. I'll be digging around on the net to find how to do this, as the Microsoft documentation is useless unless one has a pure Lync/Exchange implementation.

Incidentally, because I don't have a full Lync rollout (just IM and client-to-client and Outbound dialing), no certificate is needed.

David

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:03 PM