Office 2007 and other application Icons Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have had this happen on multiple machines.  I am able to install Vista and Office 2007 perfectly, however after several days I lose all my office icons out of the all programs area in the start button.  It also affected the quick-lanch and desktop icons.  It not only effects the Office Icons; so far Live Messenger, QuickTime, iTunes, Adobe Reader 8.  The programs it did not affect was Avast antivirus.

On one of the systems, a Toshiba portable, in the past we were able to restore to a previous point and resolve the issue temporarily.  This latest time we tried several restore points and what ever update was installing was automatically doing so after the restore because the icons would continue to show just a blank page as an icon.  We finally turned off automatic updates, did a restore and the system would not boot with an error message stating winload.exe is corrupt or missing and will not even boot into safe mode.

On the desktop system, I tried several restore points to no avail.  I then did a clean install and installed Office 2007 and created a restore point where the icons were all present.  Several days later the same thing happened.  I tried to restore to the point I had created and could not find it in the restore area.  I booted to the DVD and tried to find the restore point within that recovery area and still could not find it.  It looks as if the restore point had been erased.  I tried to look at the event log however it was not available.  I tried to run the diagnostics within the performance monitors sections where it runs a 60 sec test and it too came up with an error.  I tried to view the performance monitors but it would not function.

On both machines I tried reassociating the icons, deleting the old and recreating and still nothing has worked.

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful, I am at a loss.  Thank you!

Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:56 PM

All replies

• I too have the same problem but i'm running XP SP2 and not vista.. many other icons are missing as well... have you found a fix?
    Monday, February 5, 2007 12:59 PM
  • I have also encounted the same problem. I have tried system restores as well, but no difference.
    Please tell me if you find a fix for this. Cheers.
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:40 AM
  • This is happening for two of our users on XP SP2.  We just did Windows Update and one of the patches might have corrupted their profiles?

But it only affects one or two users profiles.  I can login to the same computer with my admin account and the desktop icons all show just fine.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:26 PM
  • I found a very detailed page describing various ways to try to fix the issue, and I tried all of them. None of these worked.

What did work, however, was completely quirky and inexplicable. I had to replace a directory under C:\Windows\Installer called:

{90120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

The icon shortcuts were missing, because this weird directory was missing (probably some disk-cleaning tool I ran purged that directory to regain some space).

I found that directory on one of my other Windows laptops, copied it over, and now the Office document shortcut icons are working again.

Friday, December 3, 2010 1:19 PM
  • since ur ANTIVIRUS is the only sw that seems to be immune to whats happening, it gives me an incline that its actually the causative agent. i thing ur antivirus deletes or quarantines files that it t "thinks" are viruses and the location of those icons happen to be one of such.. try checking your antivirus quarantine section and restore all/most of the folders u think are core system/software files
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 9:14 PM