Email notifications if a Project or Task is updated RRS feed

• Question

• We are using the project template in SharePoint 2007, and we have been seeing inconsistent results with emails going out to the users who are assigned to a task, and with emails going out when a task is updated.  Where in SharePoint can you manage the email settings at a global level?  I have seen the Alert Me link, but I don't want the users to have to go in and set up the alerts for each and every task if there is something I can set to make the emails go out automaticvally to whoever the task is assigned to....
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 8, 2011 7:36 PM admin q - why collaboration? (From:SharePoint - Collaboration (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, July 8, 2011 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are projects not considered collaboration?
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

You can do this easily via workflows. Design a workflow that sends alerts when a task is created or updated and configure it to send alerts. This will then send alerts automatically on these events.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Saturday, July 9, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Hi ,

Have you installed SharePoint Designer ?If you do ,you can create a workflow to achieve this:

1.       Open the site in SharePoint Designer  .

2.       Choose File> New >Workflow .

3.       Choose to attach this workflow on the task list ,and check to automatically start the workflow when an item is created and when an item is changed .

4.       Choose send an email in the Actions filed .Specify the To column  as workflow lookup .

5.       Add the source as current item and the field as Assigned to  .

6.       Click Ok to save the workflow . Then whenever an item is created or changed in the task list ,an email will be sent to the people who the task is assigned .

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:56 AM
  • We are not using workflows.  We are using the project template and want emails when the underlying project tasks are updated.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:51 PM
  • HI,

Refer this link

http://advancedalert.codeplex.com/

You can use this to add alerts for the entire sharepoint group.

You need to apply this first after that you need to go to Actions tab of your list and you need to select alert group.

Here you can specify the condition of updation of item and also you can add  an entire group here.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:24 PM
  • That may work, but we are looking more to have SharePoint send out an email to whoever the task is assigned to if someone goes in and updates anything on that task.  We don't want to have the users have to go in to each task and manually set it to alert them whenever the task is modified.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Hmm,

The scenario you have mentioned can be covered easily with workflows but as you have denied this option I suggest you to implement Item event receiver.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.spitemeventreceiver(v=office.12).aspx

You can modify ItemAdded or ItemAdding methods to implement your logic.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 18, 2011 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:50 PM