SharePoint 2007 Document Library document cannot be checked out RRS feed

• Question

• I received an incident ticket from a user reporting that when they clicked on the Check Out menu item for a document in one of their document libraries, they got the message

The file "path/to/document" is not checked out.

I attempted to check out the document as spsadmin, and got the same pop up box. I am currently suffering from a server which is not generating entries to the 12 hive log file, so I don't have anything there to go on.

The user is able to check out other documents in the same document library without problems. He has contribute permissions on the document library. On the document in question, he has "Contribute" permissions.

Friday, November 5, 2010 1:12 PM

Answers

• check this post they having the solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/2a74dc65-ec75-42fd-8d30-6f444a2aedb0

they mentioned a hotfix for the soultion.

thope this works

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:56 AM
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Check your windows services for the "Windows SharePoint Services Tracing" (SPTrace). If it is not running so start it and your SharePoint will start logging entries in the 12/logs folder. After that try desactivating (require document checkout ) in the document library setting and then activate it again. try checking the document out and verify logs in the 12 directory.

Best regards, Mahmoud Challouf
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. I actually did that last week. The logs started for a while, but stopped later and various things I tried to restart them, such as you describe, didn't seem to work.

I came in this morning and since there was a reboot over the weekend, logging is working again. When I went to reproduce the problem so I could look at the logs, the initial problem was also gone.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:55 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

• check this post they having the solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/2a74dc65-ec75-42fd-8d30-6f444a2aedb0

they mentioned a hotfix for the soultion.

thope this works

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Check your windows services for the "Windows SharePoint Services Tracing" (SPTrace). If it is not running so start it and your SharePoint will start logging entries in the 12/logs folder. After that try desactivating (require document checkout ) in the document library setting and then activate it again. try checking the document out and verify logs in the 12 directory.

Best regards, Mahmoud Challouf
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 12:07 PM
  • It was hard for me to determine from that article whether my situation matches or not.  Out of the 3 dozen or more documents in this library, the problem has only shown up on one or two of the documents. Other documents in the same library are just fine.

Today, however, after the hardware was rebooted over the weekend, I find that I no longer see the behavior that I was seeing last week.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Monday, November 8, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. I actually did that last week. The logs started for a while, but stopped later and various things I tried to restart them, such as you describe, didn't seem to work.

I came in this morning and since there was a reboot over the weekend, logging is working again. When I went to reproduce the problem so I could look at the logs, the initial problem was also gone.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:55 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:55 PM