Linux 3.2: Debian Wheezy & Ubuntu LTS 12.04 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I've seen

Debian and Ubuntu have both announced that their stabe (Debian) or Long Term Support (Ubuntu) release will be based on Kernel 3.2. At this stage the Hyper-V drivers were missing quite some features like SCSI hotplug and Jumbo frames. Only the VMBus driver is outside of staging in this release. Ubuntu will support this Kernel for total of 5 years, Debian Wheezy will be out later but supported for most certainly less time in total.

I have privately and without insight knowledge applied almost all patches to 3.2 from the 3.3 branch and yet I see no regressions on lab VMs. I don't know how MS thinks about adding support for this kernel release or give a little hand for improving the Hyper-V support for this kernel branch? - Since 3.2 will be the kernel of choice for longterm stable releases of 2 big DEB-based distributions that will be used in Server setups (due to support time etc.).

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Agreed on Ubuntu, which is why you see the activity in this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/917135

3.2 should be getting patches backported as well as it's a "stable" release on kernel.org. However, it is up to the distro on which fixes they take.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Mosty stuff that is in staging doesn't get bugfixes in stable releases in mainline - and 3.2 happens to have only Vmbus  and utils modules out of staging. A backport from 3.3-rc2 works here (for me ...)
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:35 PM
  • https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/929545

We can expect to see ISO's with these updates next week. The advantage of this backport from what we'll see in 3.4 is that all the drivers will have exited staging, and the community review of the drivers have proven to be invaluable.

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:07 AM
  • Hi Mike

This sounds very interesting what the Ubuntu 12.04 Kernel will/might contain, it's basically all patches from 3.3 and 3.4 (storvsc) + some packaging related patches and one that got my attention  (at http://people.canonical.com/~apw/lp929545-precise/):

• 0001-ata_piix-defer-to-the-Hyper-V-drivers-by-default.patch

Is this patch planned to go upstream?

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:27 AM
  • It's unlikely that we would be able to get that particular patch accepted upstream. Our current plan is to work with vendors to get equivalent patches to that included in distributions that want to include our drivers.

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:38 PM
  • G'day Mike

I know this thread is dating now but I'd like to announce here that the Debian Kernel team has actually agreed to and backported the 3.4-rc1 Hyper-V drivers into their Linux 3.2 branch for Wheezy as did Ubuntu!

Which means that when Wheezy will be released, this will be another distribution with quite a good Hyper-V support provided by the distribution kernel. (also includes the vCPU limitation

The remaining thing is the ata_piix issue, and I understand Debian's "upstream first" objective expressed shortly in the linked thread. In the meantime Canonical's Andy Whitcroft has proposed their variant of the "defer ata_piix" patch to LKML without public answer from Hyper-V developers.

Any update on this front you might be able to communicate?

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:51 PM
  • We're trying to push the patch through along with Andy. We'll need to wait and see what happens.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Debian  announced that their stable release will be based on Kernel 3.2.

Debian Wheezy (7.0) contain a backport Hyper-V drivers from Kernel 3.4

But You need use .iso created after  2012-11-14

( or .iso by Arnaud Patard )

See details on

http://vvm.blog.tut.by/2012/11/02/debian-on-hyper-v/ 

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:07 PM