Windows 10 activation help. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have 3 computers, one used to have windows 7(was a site license) and is now windows 10. A laptop that I upgraded from windows 8 to 10. and a final laptop that is just windows 8 but is eligible for a windows 10 download. my two devices on windows 10 are on the same Microsoft account and I have managed (by accident) to use the same key for both I think. So they are not activated and its annoying me. Is there a way I can use the windows 10 upgrade (from the laptop that hasn't been upgraded) to activate windows on my pc instead, because I no longer use that old laptop anyway. Am I going to have to buy a new key to activate them? any help would be appreciated!

this has really annoyed me as I thought that I was eligible for upgrades on both my new laptop and pc as they alerted me on both...

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:18 PM

Answers

• Rob, the link below might help explain the activation process.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-th1-professional-10240-activation/b61b395e-2bdb-4f2a-b90c-b722d599594b?auth=1

Dave

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Did you clean install any of them?

When upgrading via the media creation tool you simply skip the step where it asks for a key.  Your underlying OS key is used automatically and thereafter stored in the Microsoft activation servers in the cloud.  Once the underlying OS and hardware have been validated you will not need a key/

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:57 PM

All replies

• Rob, the link below might help explain the activation process.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-th1-professional-10240-activation/b61b395e-2bdb-4f2a-b90c-b722d599594b?auth=1

Dave

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Did you clean install any of them?

When upgrading via the media creation tool you simply skip the step where it asks for a key.  Your underlying OS key is used automatically and thereafter stored in the Microsoft activation servers in the cloud.  Once the underlying OS and hardware have been validated you will not need a key/

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:57 PM
  • Try opening a command prompt with administration permissions and type the following "slmgr -rearm." Restart your computer and go to the settings folder. Click On Activate on the left hand side, then look for the option to change the product key on the right hand side. You should be able to register the Win 10 upgrade with your existing Win7 product key.
    Friday, March 11, 2016 8:07 PM