none
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit or Windows Deployment Services. Which one to use? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a test Network that I'm using for my 70-410 certification. I have a domain controller running 2012 R2 and a member server running 2016. The member server is acting as my Windows deployment server. I have WDS configured on the member server and I have a Windows 7 image file and the boot file configured for remote deployment. I also want to configure a Windows 10 iOS deployment. My question is, do I also need Windows deployment toolkit installed and configured? What is the difference between Windows deployment services and Microsoft deployment toolkit ? Can I use both or is each application designed for a different IOS deployment? In what situation would I use the windows deployment services to deploy an iOS, and in what situation would I win use the windows deployment toolkit to deploy an iOS.

Can I deploy an IOS to a client machine that already has an operating system already on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:15 AM

Answers

• Basically, MDT Toolkit is the tool to build/capture your image and to deploy it. It's modifiable in lots of ways to tailor your needs, but to get the image deployed to a target pc.

WDS is the service that gets your pc 'to' MDT. It can act as a PXE server to contain the boot info that your target pc needs, to know where to go to find the MDT application.

There are many more technical definitions, which I'm sure people will post. This is just a pretty basic concept of what they are. And yes, you can deploy an image to one that already has an OS. You can either have MDT wipe it out and drop a new image, or do an in-place deployment where it can keep the user info but install a fresh OS.

• Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, July 15, 2019 7:49 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 12:26 PM

All replies

• Basically, MDT Toolkit is the tool to build/capture your image and to deploy it. It's modifiable in lots of ways to tailor your needs, but to get the image deployed to a target pc.

WDS is the service that gets your pc 'to' MDT. It can act as a PXE server to contain the boot info that your target pc needs, to know where to go to find the MDT application.

There are many more technical definitions, which I'm sure people will post. This is just a pretty basic concept of what they are. And yes, you can deploy an image to one that already has an OS. You can either have MDT wipe it out and drop a new image, or do an in-place deployment where it can keep the user info but install a fresh OS.

• Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, July 15, 2019 7:49 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 12:26 PM
  •    Thanks for the information. I am doing my first WDS IOS install now, and it seems to be working. I will install and configure WDT now and see what happens. I have a good video to follow. Thank you.
    Monday, July 15, 2019 7:51 PM