Windows 10 clients show as Vista on Windows 8.1 WSUS console? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fully updated WSUS server running on 2012 R2 which correctly shows Windows 10 clients when logged onto the WSUS box itself.

From Windows 8/8.1 the Windows 10 clients show as Windows Vista and I cannot find a Windows Update that seems to address this on Windows 8, only the update for Windows Server 2010 R2.

Any suggestions please?

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:35 PM

Answers

• The core program came out years before Windows 10 so the original files do not know what it is, this has been patched on the server side but I doubt there would be a similar patch for client operating systems. The updates should still get approved in the normal manor, it's just reporting the OS incorrectly in the console itself.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul Hutchings,

>From Windows 8/8.1 the Windows 10 clients show as Windows Vista and I cannot find a Windows Update that seems to address this on Windows 8, only the update for Windows Server 2010 R2.

What do you mean windows 8.1 WSUS console? Do you mean remote to WSUS 2012R2 console on windows 8, and the console in windows 8 shows windows clients as windows vista.

Then what do windows 10 clients show as on WSUS server 2012 R2 console?

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:56 AM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/3095113 addresses this problem on WS2012/WS2012R2.

I'm not sure if it is applicable to remote WSUS consoles installed on Win8/Win8.1, but you could try that

If that works, also consider this one https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:10 AM
  • Hi Paul Hutchings,

>From Windows 8/8.1 the Windows 10 clients show as Windows Vista and I cannot find a Windows Update that seems to address this on Windows 8, only the update for Windows Server 2010 R2.

What do you mean windows 8.1 WSUS console? Do you mean remote to WSUS 2012R2 console on windows 8, and the console in windows 8 shows windows clients as windows vista.

Then what do windows 10 clients show as on WSUS server 2012 R2 console?

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

If I RDP to the 2012 R2 WSUS box and use the WSUS console it's fine, Windows 10 shows as Windows 10.

If I use the WSUS console on my Windows 8.1 box and connect to the WSUS server, Windows 10 shows as Vista.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:14 AM
  • The core program came out years before Windows 10 so the original files do not know what it is, this has been patched on the server side but I doubt there would be a similar patch for client operating systems. The updates should still get approved in the normal manor, it's just reporting the OS incorrectly in the console itself.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Hi Paul Hutchings,

I didn't find a kb about this issue for Windows 8.1, have you tried KB3095113 on it, if it is not compatible, then, seems no resolution to deal with it currently.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:53 AM
  • I have this same issue.

RDP'd into the WSUS server and Windows 10 clients are correctly identified with a Windows (Version 10.0) operating system.

Use Server Manager on a Windows 8.1 client to access WSUS and the Windows 10 clients are identified as having Windows Vista as an operating system.

Saturday, August 27, 2016 2:25 PM