Manually Collocate PAS and Sharepoint 2007 on Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I"m trying to get PAS 6.3 and Sharepoint 2007 working on a Windows Server 2008 machine.

Is there an article like this one but that deals with IIS7?

How to manually collocate ProClarity Analytics Server 6.3 and SharePoint Server 2007 on port 80
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937771
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:36 PM

Answers

• Here is a link to a similar document on the ProClarity Team Blog.  It talks about collocating PAS 6.3 and SSRS 2005 on Windows 2008.  In the comments, they mentioned that they tried it with PPS Monitoring and PAS so maybe there is enough info in there to make it work.

http://blogs.technet.com/proclarity/archive/2008/12/19/co-locating-pas-and-ssrsx64-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

-Jason
    BTG Services
    • Marked as answer by DShroyer Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I did end up figuring this out.

Installed PAS as normal.
    Then created a new SITE in II7 Manager.
    Added the PAS and PasUploads applications.

Then went to C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config and opened the ApplicationHost.config file using XML Notepad 2007.

Copied all of the nodes from the default site and default site/PAs to the new site.

Restarted IIS and everything worked.

• Marked as answer by Sean_Flanagan Friday, March 6, 2009 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• Here is a link to a similar document on the ProClarity Team Blog.  It talks about collocating PAS 6.3 and SSRS 2005 on Windows 2008.  In the comments, they mentioned that they tried it with PPS Monitoring and PAS so maybe there is enough info in there to make it work.

http://blogs.technet.com/proclarity/archive/2008/12/19/co-locating-pas-and-ssrsx64-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

-Jason
    BTG Services
    • Marked as answer by DShroyer Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Yes, I have this article and it got me to the point where PAS is installed successfully on the default web site.

But I have not been successful in moving PAS to an entirely new site or the Sharepoint:80 site.  Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know of a msft paper which details this process?

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:23 PM
  • I did end up figuring this out.

Installed PAS as normal.
    Then created a new SITE in II7 Manager.
    Added the PAS and PasUploads applications.

Then went to C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config and opened the ApplicationHost.config file using XML Notepad 2007.

Copied all of the nodes from the default site and default site/PAs to the new site.

Restarted IIS and everything worked.

• Marked as answer by Sean_Flanagan Friday, March 6, 2009 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Nice one, DShroyer.

We're working on a document however re-creating the PAS website with the ISAPI filter, default documents, etc. is more challenging from the UI whereas you found copy/pasting the code from the config file is much easier (but more advanced).  There isn't any special configuration for PAS or MOSS - just that they be located on different sites for a 64bit IIS7.  There's a few other switches that might cause problems on an x64 box - those being the application pool bitness setting and the global bit that SharePoint looks at to enable 32-bit applications (which is obsolete).
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Any news about this document or how to install a PAS with sharepoint server 2007 in a windows 2008 64 bits? 

Juan Alvarado
    Juan Alvarado - MVP SQL SERVER
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:04 PM
  • The content for the document is I think pretty much set at this point, but the final version is being tested and polished for public release.  We'll likely put it on the blog and update this thread when it becomes available.
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:24 PM
  • I'm wondering if you have any news about the document.

thanks.

J. Parker
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 12:37 AM
  • I checked into this and found that the document that was created is not being released at this time.  The document is actually quite simple as far as ProClarity and SharePoint are concerned.  In short, here is the recommended approach to co-location:

-PAS is installed before SharePoint and its applications moved to a separate app pool that has 32-bit enabled.  Reset app pool defaults to 32-bit disabled.  See the documentation in PAS SP2 for configuration instructions for Windows Server 2008. 
    -Install MOSS using the advanced install then configure ports (The document recommends 9330, 8080, and 8081).  Configure the web application, create the site collection and configure the MOSS server.

As the document is not being published we will look into created a step-by-step whitepaper and post it to the blog site.

hth,
    Sean
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:53 PM