none
Capture of updated image for MDT and WDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an issue when capturing an updated image for our deployment server.

Prior to this i have removed all rules out of the deployment share properties then ran the capture process by running the litetouch.wsf file, i get to put in the relevant details and start the process whcih gets to loading PE and then errors.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Monday, July 24, 2017 1:28 PM

Answers

• It's really worth following that guide to make your reference images. Also you really do not want to ever capture your reference image from an actual machine, use a VM.

Using that guide you can create and capture your image all in one single task sequence. You can look at some of the past guides if you want to add the suspend task sequence task, in order to make some customization before you continue the sequence can it captures. A good practice is to add that suspend sequence and while it is suspended, create a checkpoint. You can later restore the checkpoint, run windows update, reboot, shutdown and make a new checkpoint before resuming the task sequence and capturing a fully updated image.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:10 PM

All replies

• Try this guide on creating a reference image - https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/613/Building-a-Windows-10-v1703-reference-image-using-MDT

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

Is this guide for building the MDT from Scratch as we have all that in place already, also we are trying to use an update desktop PC to capture the image off of it.

Cheers

Matt

Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:01 PM
  • It's really worth following that guide to make your reference images. Also you really do not want to ever capture your reference image from an actual machine, use a VM.

Using that guide you can create and capture your image all in one single task sequence. You can look at some of the past guides if you want to add the suspend task sequence task, in order to make some customization before you continue the sequence can it captures. A good practice is to add that suspend sequence and while it is suspended, create a checkpoint. You can later restore the checkpoint, run windows update, reboot, shutdown and make a new checkpoint before resuming the task sequence and capturing a fully updated image.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Can you suggest a way to use the reference so we can use it for an image for a laptop with certain GFX cards etc.

As i have built the ISO as per the guide you posted, just wondering how i would put drivers into another image or would i do that in another way?

Cheers

Matt

Monday, July 31, 2017 8:08 AM
  • Yes, the best way to handle drivers is to not have them added to the reference image but to inject them at time of deployment based on the hardware that the OS is being deployed to.

See the guide for - Lite Touch Driver Management

I've been using the "total control" method for years, it works great and reduces the deployment time because only the drivers needed are injected.

Monday, July 31, 2017 1:12 PM