locked
Outlook 2010 with Exchange 2010 prompts for credentials RRS feed

  • Question

  • Users that are using Outlook 2010 that we have migrated to Exchange 2010 are now being prompted for their credentials to connect.  What issues might be causing this?  We are not using Outlook Anywhere.

    Thanks

    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:57 PM

Answers

  • We ended up calling Microsoft.  It turns out the problem is IIS authentication configuration.  We had to manually configure the authentication settings after changing to forms based authentication.
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

  • Outlook 2010 uses web services for things like free-busy (the Availability Service), out of office, offline address book, and the Exchange Control Panel.  These services use various IIS virtual directories.  If they're misconfigured, users can be challenged for authentication.  Misconfigured networking and non-domain-joined machines can also contribute to the problem they're seeing.


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Monday, May 9, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Could be many reasons, mostly it's due to misconfiguration with the webservices like Ed mentioned. Can you confirm if this is a new forest migration? Also can you confirm that you actually have to enter in the credentials before Outlook works? Outlook may work even though you get prompted, such as calendar sharing across forests, OAB access issues etc. However if you're getting prompted to enter credentials before anything works then maybe it could actually be connecting over Outlook Anywhere even if you're inside the network due to firewall restrictions or incorrectly configured DNS names for webservices.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Monday, May 9, 2011 5:51 PM
  • This is not a new forest.  We are migrating users within the same domain.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:30 PM
  • input.

    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hi Exchange Freak,

    ED gave some good suggestion, please confirm those.
    I would run exchange EXBPA to retrieve some useful information about your exchange email system firstly.
    Please use test-outlookwebservices to retrieve some information and post here;
    and use get-exchangecertificate and post the information;
    also confirm the authenticate method on the web service configured properly, some information for you:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/msaad/archive/2010/09/24/default-authentication-methods-in-exchange-2010-cas-and-mailbox-servers.aspx

    Regards!
    Gavin

     TechNet Subscriber Support  in forum

    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Exchange Freak Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:05 AM
  • We ended up calling Microsoft.  It turns out the problem is IIS authentication configuration.  We had to manually configure the authentication settings after changing to forms based authentication.
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:32 PM