Transfer backup files from one computer account to another RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running WSE 2012 at home, primarily as a backup server. My wife has a desktop that she uses for her photography business and which has ~2Tb of files on it. I've been successfully backing these up to the server. I'm in the process of upgrading her machine to Windows 10, but decided to do a clean install (I added a SSD drive to the machine to improve its performance). As a result the new Win10 install is identified as a separate machine in the WSE dashboard, and doesn't have access to the backup history of the old install (which is still active as a dual-boot configuration).

My question is, can I transfer/assign the backup files from the old install on this machine to the new one? I am trying to avoid having to set off a 2Gb backup of files that are already on the server - they are all on a separate P: drive which is the same on the old install and the new one. Any assistance appreciated.

Ian Thomas

Saturday, September 26, 2015 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to restore backup(about old system) to a newly installed Windows 10(same device) which is identified as a different device on Dashboard.

Check the steps about restoring files and folders:
    1. Open the Dashboard on a client computer – newly installed Windows 10.
    2. Click the Devices tab.
    3. Click the computer for which you want to restore files and folders, and then click Restore files or folders for the computer in the Tasks pane. 

Then, the Restore Files or Folders Wizard opens. Follow the instructions in the wizard. If it failed, any error message?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:54 AM