none
MS Project and Resource Allocation across multiple projects RRS feed

• Question

• We have a team that works on multiple projects and we want to be able to see the allocation of resources against each project, for a particular project, and per resource of all projects currently assigned.  Can this be accomplished in our current MSP 2007?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:41 PM

Answers

• OK, Robert, the result you're seeing is for the original Aircraft A  project. It would appear you haven't gone through the "Share Resources with the Resource Pool" section of article #17.  Open the Aircraft A.mpp file and  go to Tools/Resource Sharing.../Share Resources.  In the Share Resources  dialog, select Uses Resources radio button ... From:... and select the Pool.mpp file.  Repeat for the other 2 aircraft files. That should consolidate  the resources.  Try then to view the Resource Graph.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP (97-11)
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I am guessing you are not using Project Server.  You can create a resource pool file and share that pool file to multiple projects.  This would allow you to view resource usage across all projects connected to the pool.

Mike Glen has a great series of tutorials on MS Project.  See:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMFrame.asp?CMD=ArticleSearch&AUTH=23

Particularly Lessons 18 & 19.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hi Eric,

You can work with a resource pool and link your project files to this resource pool.

Afterwards

• you can connect all your project to this resource pool
    • Create a master project
    • add all your projects as sub-projects in this master project

Via the resource usage view, you will get an overview of the total allocation per user.
    You could group on project name; as such you will see the allocation on project Level.

Regards

Wim

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hi Julie, 

I went thru the Chapter 17 from the link which you have provided and found it useful. I am unable to understand one thing. For the Master Project (subprojects - Aircraft A, Aircraft B & Aircraft C) i was able identify the duration as mentioned in the article, but wasn't able to identify, how he arrived at the figure of  "4 Aircraft, 7 Propulsion and 6 Electrical"? 

Any help would be really useful. 

thanks and regards, 

Robert. 

Robert Poddar
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hello Robert,

If you have consolidated the resources into the pool file as Mike suggests and then added the Peak Units field you'll see:

I think Mike meant "Airframe" not Aircraft.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Yes, Julie, that was a typo I missed in proofreading. Sorry!

Robert, Julie is right in referring you to the Resource Sheet. However, to keep things simple, I expected you to view the Resource Graph in a split screen to see the Maximum Units required, as you would have done earlier for a single project.  Using the scroll bar, you can see each resource in turn.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP (97-11)

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Hi Julie, 

Thanks a lot for the clarification. I didn't know that i had to insert a "Peak" column in the Resource Sheet. 

thanks and regards 

Robert

Robert Poddar
    Friday, December 23, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hi Mike 

First of all, thanks for the putting up such articles to help us to overcome MS Project issues. I have really enjoyed reading your article. 

I did check the Resource Graph, for the Airframe wherein there are 3 graphs which showed 200% and 2 bars with 100%; but i wasn't able to come to a conclusion on the number of resources that would be needed for having the project completing within 39d duration. 

Just attaching the screenshot of what i am seeing. 

thanks and regards, 

Robert

Robert Poddar
    Friday, December 23, 2011 11:47 AM
  • You're welcome Robert.  To the question about seeing the higher numbers in the Resource Graph, select all tasks in the consolidated project (Click the "Task Name" column heading) and now scroll through each resource.  With all tasks selected you should be seeing the requirements for all tasks, not just the "Preparation task" as you have shown in your screen shot.

I hope this helps.

Friday, December 23, 2011 2:48 PM
  • OK, Robert, the result you're seeing is for the original Aircraft A  project. It would appear you haven't gone through the "Share Resources with the Resource Pool" section of article #17.  Open the Aircraft A.mpp file and  go to Tools/Resource Sharing.../Share Resources.  In the Share Resources  dialog, select Uses Resources radio button ... From:... and select the Pool.mpp file.  Repeat for the other 2 aircraft files. That should consolidate  the resources.  Try then to view the Resource Graph.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP (97-11)

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hi Mike, 

First of all, wishing you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year. 

Thank you, i was able to see the peak in the master plan which shows the resource peak (400%, 700% & 600%) for the Airframe, Propulsion and Electrical respectively. 

thanks and regards, 

Robert

Robert Poddar
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:16 AM