none
Fix for System Restore error (0x800700B7) for Setting Manual Restore Point RRS feed

• Question

• System info:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    eMachine T5226
    Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz
    4 GB RAM
    32-bit OS

All of a sudden, I went to set a manual Restore Point and I get the same message:
    "Could not create the Scheduled Task for the following reason:
    Cannot create a file when that file already exists.(0x800700B7)"
    I can change the name and still get the same pop-up, I have nearly visted all forums and tried everything, except pay MS $35 for the fix,
    which I cannot afford to do and buy medicine, since I am disabled and Part D Medicare for drugs is Bad.
    Can Anyone who really knows a fix, other than just reinstall and go through all, that, it seems to set points when programs call for it, but not the operator. Any help will be appreciated and rewarded by God, through my prayers. Thanks!
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on my experience, error code 0x800700B7 indicates that the object cannot be created because an object with the same name already exists. Thus I suspect there is some shadow restore points stored on your computer. I recommend that you perform the following steps.

1. Change another location to save the new created restore point.

2. Resize Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space by running the following command, there may be caused by limited space.

1) Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.

2) Click Run as administrator.

3) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

vssadmin list shadowstorage /for=c:

4) Note the Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space value.

5) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=300Mb

6) Close the Command Prompt window.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi
    Sorry, I used the Microsoft option, don't know what they did, but it took all day!!
    Arboretum
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on my experience, error code 0x800700B7 indicates that the object cannot be created because an object with the same name already exists. Thus I suspect there is some shadow restore points stored on your computer. I recommend that you perform the following steps.

1. Change another location to save the new created restore point.

2. Resize Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space by running the following command, there may be caused by limited space.

1) Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.

2) Click Run as administrator.

3) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

vssadmin list shadowstorage /for=c:

4) Note the Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space value.

5) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=300Mb

6) Close the Command Prompt window.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:19 AM
  • No, it did not help, I have tried everything, guess, even though alot of trouble to re-format and start over. Seems, that something has happened, that cannot be fixed, been with windows, since windows 95, and weird things has happened in all versions, but the worst ever Mr. Gates released was Windows Me, wow, the blue screen of death many times a day.
    Thanks!!

Friday, July 24, 2009 12:08 PM
  • The above has worked for me. on a HP computer.
    • Proposed as answer by Hotmailsucknow Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hotmailsucknow Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:07 PM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Fantastic!  I had the same problem and this fix resolved the issue.  Thank you!
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:37 AM
  • I agree mine is doing the same thing and my printer quit. There is no PRIVACY this has got to be a government thing and I am too old to give a good d#$% and frankly I am about to say to heck with it all. I WON"T buy another computer or printer or anyother tracking device the govt. puts out there. In fact I am ridding my self of a cell phone also. If everyone get s the point and quits, then no big corporations can make the money off of us anymore. This is absolutely redicolus!!!!
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 1:46 AM
  • What I'd like to know is how you can complete all the steps Dale outlined as the "Accepted Fix".

Currently I have a computer that's stuck on an Windows Update Error Loop, I attempted to run System Restore but received the 0x800700b7 error. So Basically the System restore facility is faulty, and to add insult to injury I can't log into the operating system because of the fact that the computer is in a "Failure Configuring Windows Updates" loop. 

What a catch 22.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:42 PM
  • I am begginning to agree

I am beginning to agree, I have had an ADS virus that is A.I. it defends itself tells lies So many things that I cannot fit them here Msoft told me win 8 would fix sent me a paper card with a code on it ? How do you fix a no start compuuter with a paper card? Then istead of suppoert I got a run around and  payed extra for a full install win 8 pro disk, I recieved a win 7 BU disk, WONT EVEN RUN ON THIS NOW!

I just found that a KB976932 update is where the virus came from!!!!!

Ray P.

when they tried to let me try their secret scanner site, the download turned to a warning label and all the security certificates had excuses why they could not be verified! The adress it came from-----------http://ads1.msads.net/dapmsn.js     ads1    WOW!!!! Are Chinese spies running all us computers?

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:22 AM
  • I think we should all get together and file a nation wide class action lawsuit against MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:08 PM
  • if im trying to save a backup on an external drive should i type: 
    for=c/on=g ?
    or 
    for=g/on=g ?
    Sunday, September 13, 2020 2:51 PM