none
Windows Server 2008 R2 "The DNS server isn't responding" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our company recently switched from Sonicwall to Meraki, and it seems that our server has lost WAN connectivity. In my network and sharing center the connection map shows "(This computer) -> corp.emccltd.com -> Internet" without issues. I'm assuming based on this information that my DNS has been misconfigured since we upgraded our network.

I am relatively new to Windows server, as I mainly manage our database.

I am not sure which information is necessary for someone to provide assistance, however I will be very tentative to this thread and will respond quickly.

Thank you to anyone who can help out,

Ocean

• Edited by Ocean Sharma Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:02 PM Spacing
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>my network and sharing center the connection map shows "(This computer) -> corp.emccltd.com -> Internet" without issues

In general, it would appear a exclamation point if your DNS has been misconfigured .

>>it seems that our server has lost WAN connectivity

Does you mean the browser fail to access website? By IP or domain name?

Could you please provide the screenshots of  command  ipconfig /all   and   tracert  your destination.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!

Here's a paste of both commands being run.

https://pastebin.com/2ya8iYUr

EDIT: When I try to access any webpages with Firefox, Chrome, or IE, it cannot connect to the site and says there's a DNS error. I also have a FileMaker database that accesses xe.com for currency exchange rates and that doesn't work anymore.

I also talked to Cisco Meraki Support to confirm I hadn't misconfigured anything on the hardware but they say that it's fine.

• Edited by Ocean Sharma Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:37 PM update
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:34 PM

• Hi,
    Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum, which help us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.
    Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

I noticed the DNS server configured on “DH4R88R1”is itself. Have you installed DNS server role on it? And what is the forwarder configured on it?
    Open DNS manager, right click on DNS server and open properties, the settings is on the following tab:

On “DH4R88R1, when you ping 8.8.8.8, is it successful?

Do you have any other devices? If yes, would you please provide some information on your network topology? Such as how many devices ,how devices are connected to network, and how are they connected to Internet.

Best Regards,

Frank

Friday, November 3, 2017 5:34 AM
  • Ping request times out, and here are my forwarders.

https://puu.sh/ye8pd/ef998100c7.png

We have 40 devices registered and average 20 online during the day. Some are wired and some are wireless. Topology

Internet -> Modem/Router combo -> Firewall -> Ethernet Switch -> Devices and APs (Server is plugged in to switch)

Friday, November 3, 2017 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

Is your firewall blocking ping traffic? If not, it seems the server is not able to connect to Internet.

Are the forwarders provided by your ISP? Would you please test ping to your forwarders?

Besides, on the server and on one client, open IE(or other Internet browser), type 216.58.199.228 to see if we could access the webpage.

Best Regards,

Frank

Monday, November 6, 2017 5:16 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:41 AM
  • My apologies for the late reply.

The forwarders I have set up are for FileMaker, Quickbooks, Remote desktop, and file sharing. Internet access from that machine does not work, however if I'm at home and try to access our FileMaker database from this server at work, I can. I can also remote desktop the server from anywhere. Somehow on top of all this, I can't access the internet from that system.

Friday, November 10, 2017 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

The forwarders are used by DNS to resolve the names which it could not resolve itself.

The following link contains detailed information:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730756(v=ws.11).aspx

When you access anything on your server from home, the forwarders are not involved in the process.

What we need to do is contacting ISP vendor, and get the DNS server that is available for us. Then, add it to the forwarder list and delete others.

Or, we may use 8.8.8.8 as forwarder to test. If still not able to connect to Internet, we need to contact the Cisco support because the DNS traffic are blocked.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:57 AM
  • I'm alright with testing on 8.8.8.8 if that will offer a similar solution. Am I setting up the forwarder directly on the server computer (DNS Manager)? If so, would you be able to explain where to enter it? Thank you.

UPDATE: I talked to Bell (my ISP) and they gave me the forwarder 207.164.234.193.
    • Edited by Ocean Sharma Monday, November 13, 2017 8:52 PM update
    Monday, November 13, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

Please follow steps below:

Start - >run -> type "dnsmgmt.msc"

Right click your domain name,and choose Properties.

Locate the tab “Forwarders”,and click Edit ,type your ISP dns or 8.8.8.8 

Best Regards,
    Frank

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Hey Frank,

Both were unable to resolve:
    https://puu.sh/ylUwM/d67ee4b02c.png

I'm not sure what is causing this.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

It doesn’t matter, would not affect the resolving process.

We only need to ensure our DNS server is able to access them through IP address.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:32 AM
  • I ran "tracert 207.164.234.193"

Here is the output:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>tracert 207.164.234.193

Tracing route to 207.164.234.193 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.3.1
      2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      3     *

It continued to time out so I stopped it.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

The network connection is not correctly configured.

You may contact Cisco team to have a check. 

Best Regards,

Frank

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:02 AM
  • Okay thank you, I will reply back with any information they offer me.
    Friday, November 17, 2017 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Appreciate your sharing and support.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:55 AM
  • I've given up on this machine, I've ordered a new one as that server is quite old and slow. I was hoping to have an answer in the case that someone else encountered this problem, but to no avail.

Take care,

Ocean.

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:16 PM